Saturday, June 11, 2016

June 11 Saturday Midnight 8 K Run

After I got off work at 5:30 p.m.,
I went to a sports shop in Ueno.
I went there to check out Vibram Fiver Fingers.
I tried on a pair and asked questions about a few other models.
I found out that my size is M41,
but all of them were pricey,
so I didn't make a purchase.

When I came home,
a parcel had been delivered.
It was a pair of running 'tabi'
Tabi is traditional Japanese sock-like footwear.
Traditional tabi is made of cotton.
The running tabi I bought are also cotton inside,
but they are nylon outside to increase durability.

Though traditional tabi have hooks above the heal for fastening,
my running tabi has shoe strings just like regular jogging shoes.

I tried them on and ran 8 K to see how they would feel on my feet.

They were super light, and cushioning was non-existent.
The rubber on the sole is of very good quality and the grip on the road is good,
but it is very, very thin,
so you can't strike your heel when you land.
That's the whole point.
The shoes only allow you to land on the ball of your foot,
this forcing your leg to fully activate all of your leg muscles.
It helps your make your legs stronger.

I ran 8 K comfortably in 38 minutes 34 seconds.
The details are as follows:
1st K: 5:07
2nd K: 4:26
3rd K: 5:19
4th K: 4:31
5th K: 4:30
6th K: 5:17
7th K: 4:53
8th K: 4:26
Total: 38:44 (equivalent to a 4:50/K pace)






No comments:

Post a Comment