Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Calf Injury

Last night after coming home from work,
it was still raining,
but as I have written here many times,
rain doesn't bother me,
so I went for a short training run.

I was running around the quarter-pie-shaped road around the park near my house comfortably
when something snapped and a sharp pain ran through my left calf,
and I came to a sudden halt. I walked slowly to protect the calf,
but the pain would not go away.
I limped for a while and started running slowly again
till I reached home, bearing the unusual pain that plagued the calf.

After I got home, I applied some lotion on the calf,
and massaged it.
But the muscle didn't feel sore, nor was I able to identify the exact location of the pain.
I stood up again and walked, trying to figure out where the pain came from.
It felt like coming from a fairly deep area in the calf.

I logged on to my PC and did some research.
I punched in, "calf, sudden muscle pain", and pressed enter.
Soon I found out that my symptom matched that of a typical torn muscle,
or 'nikubanara' in Japanese.

An immediate treatment recommended for this injury was icing,
a webpage said, but the pain was minor, so I skipped icing,
and immediately applied a cool wet medicated adhesive pad on the painful area,
and went to bed.

The next morning I woke up to find out the pain was still there.
I realized that the pain was of different sort form common muscle pain.
I must walk very slowly for a while, though my cardio-vascular capacity is
strong enough to run a marathon right away if asked.
I also need to avoid running for quite a while
because the injured area may get worse
if you re-start your training before full recovery and the muscle in the damaged area ruptures again.

It could be frustrating that I cannot to what I like to do.
Bur fortunately I have many other things that I enjoy doing,
such as English training and core exercises, and upper body workouts,
none of which requires a strong calf in perfect condition.
So I'm saying to myself for now that my left calf needs a long vacation
because it's been working so hard for months.
Hopefully, by the time its vacation is over,
it will have been ready for even more challenging training,
just like workers will be refreshed and ready to work productively after a long vacation.





No comments:

Post a Comment