Sunday, September 11, 2016

Final Phase Training Leading to the Race

This is the week leading to the 20 K race taking place on Sept. 18.
No long distance training is scheduled this week
as unrecoverable fatigue in the legs is a risk to be avoided.

Here are some things that I am planning to do:
<12th: Core Training>
The legs as well as cardio aren't completely recovered from the +10 K run two days in a row.
To avoid overworking the legs,
I am going to hit the core whose strength is as important as that of your legs
when it comes to running a long distance.

<13th: Stretch>
This is the day for a rest.
Stretching and deep breathing will help eliminate wastes,
and maximize oxygen reaching my body's entire cells.

<14th: 3.9 K Build Up>
By this day the legs will have recovered enough
to withstand another physical challenge.
In the  3.9 K build up training I run a 650 M-long circular course 6 times.
I start off at a comfortable pace, and gradually inject the pace as I go along.
I usually start with my full marathon pace of 5:20/K,
and then progressively quicken the pace next to 4:50/K,
and then finally to 4:30/K.
But this time, I may start at 4:50/K, which is my half marathon pace
since I have grown stronger through the training over the past one month.
If I should take that pace in my first 1.3 K,
then my second lap will be 4:30/K,
and the final lap under 4:20/K.
Considering my steady progress over the last couple of weeks,
it won't be so difficult.

<15th: Stretch>
This is another day for a rest.
Breathing and stretching just as 13th.
However, with the racing coming near,
I am going to bring in another element to it: mental rehearsal.
As I do the stretching, I am going to go over the entire route in my mind.
This is a very important activity for me.
If I do it a few times before actually running the race,
I can feel like I have already run the race
when I line up at the start line on the day of the race.
It gives me tremendous confidence and calmness,
both of which are indispensable elements
if you want to run a race strongly.

<16th: 3K Pace Run>
Two days before the race I am going to run for the last time
just to stimulate my leg muscles, and the entire cardio-vascular systems.
I go for a relatively challenging pace of under 4:30/K for all of the three Ks.
Also important is energy intake.
I am going to eat starchy food a little more than usual
because carbohydrates are the main source of energy
in long-distance running.

<17th: Travel to Kofu>
To give a good rest on the night before the race,
I am scheduled to travel to Kofu after work.
I am going to use an express train to secure privacy
that I want desperately in order to build concentration for the race.
On the night of 17th, I will eat good local food, and also make sure
that I eat a little more starchy food than usual
for the reason I mentioned above.
Local speciality 'houtou' may be a good choice
as nothing is more starchy than that!




No comments:

Post a Comment