Monday, July 11, 2016

Weekend Fight with a Cold

My cold symptoms got worse last Saturday,
so I skipped my running training both Saturday and Sunday.
The situation did not get better, nonetheless,
so I decided to do something radical.
Instead of giving myself a complete rest,
I went our for a training run in the summer heat.
I ran 3 K from my bilingual companion's home to the Chigasaki Beach,
and from there ran 2 K to the east along the beach,
and ran another 2 K to the west to where I started off
to cover total 7 K.
I rested for a while on a bench, looking out to the sea and
seeing a bunch of surfers having fun in their own styles.
After resting awhile I started off again,
this time to the west along the beach,
ran 1 K, and then turned around to get back to where I started off.
I rested there again.
I had covered total 9 K up to that point.
Running from there back to my bilingual companion's home would make a total of 12 K,
which was sufficient for the day.
So instead of running further along the beach,
I did some body weight endurance workout there hitting my chest and core.
Five sets of one-minute training quickly exhausted much of the glycogen remaining in my body.
I then slowly headed to the north to complete the final phase of the training.
I stopped by a convenience store and grabbed a bottle of sports drink to fuel myself once,
because I was so thirsty, and out of gas.
I finally reached the goal almost two hours after I left home.

After quickly taking a shower, I temporarily felt exhilarated from completing a total 12 K training run with some body weight endurance training mixed in.
A light meal had been prepared by my bilingual companion,
which consisted of fresh fruits and veggies.
I had them all like someone who had not eaten for days.

Once I finished the meal, I fell sleepy.
I dozed off and kept on sleeping like small baby.
When I was awake again,
I realized that my entire body was in tremendous heat,
and I couldn't move an inch.
Something in my body was fighting off the cause of the cold.
I rested for another two hours in bed.
By the time I was awake again, I had recovered my normal body temperature.

I still had occasional coughs, but they didn't seem as nasty as they were a couple of days before.

I was planning to go home to get ready for a new week,
but I was afraid a long train ride back home would be too exhausting,
so I booked a room at a hotel between Yokohama and Central Tokyo,
and gave myself a full rest.

The following morning I woke up to discover that heaviness I had felt in my body was gone.
My body temperature was normal.
I coughed a few times, there was no soreness in the bronchus.
I felt my long battle with the cold was almost over.
Another nutritious meal or two and sufficient hydration would get me completely out of it,
I hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment