Saturday, January 9, 2021

Midnight 10 K Hill Tempo Run in Vibram Five Fingers

Jan. 9, 2020

500 M: 3:32.76

10 K: 46:32.36 (Target=45:50)

1.55 K: 11:07.83

12.05 K: 1:01.12 


Life is a series of ups and downs. So is my running course tonight. The tempo run last night was quite a disappointment, because I fell far short of the target time of 45:50. I pat myself on the shoulder, saying, "Don't be too hard on yourself. The course is insanely hilly, and the target is challenging." But another side of me keeps saying, "I'm better than that."


So, just to prove how much better I can be, I ran the same course as last night, aiming to run faster.

The result is I slashed the time by almost 3 minutes. How did I do it? I surged on downhills. That's the only way I could slash time I thought. Increasing the pace on upward inclines will only take a toll on your legs and lungs. You'll end up paying the price later. That doesn't mean I slacked off while going up. I just focused on running economy, minimizing energy loss.

I kicked in the last 800 meters or so, imagining I was running the last K of the famous Ohme 30 K Road Race with a wall of spectators on either side of the street. 

When I pressed my Ironman sports watch and saw what it said on the display, I couldn't believe my eyes. I was only 42 second behind the target! What an improvement from the previous night. I'm so glad I gave it another try. Though I didn't hit the target tonight, it now seems more achievable than yesterday. Amazing to see how one can make such a big change overnight. It's not that I suddenly became a fast runner. I'd had the potential already yesterday. I simply hadn't figured out yet how to tap it. Now I know. So, things will only get better. 




No comments:

Post a Comment