Friday, January 22, 2021

10 K Hill Tempo Run

Jan. 22, 2021

Warm Up 0.5 K: 3:16.63

10 K Hill Tempo Run: 45:33.11 (Target=45:50.00)

Rest: 46.83

Warm Down 3.4 K: 20:18.25

Total 13.4 K: 1:09:54 

For the first time in the 3rd attempt was I finally able to run this horrendously hilly 10 K course inside the target of 45:50. I am so happy I gave it a try. 


In fact, I was thinking of settling for a less challenging daily goal, like a 10 K jog. But then while throwing myself into my running gear, slowly motivation rose from within. Before I knew it, I was mentally ready to accept whatever result that might come from attempting to run it. After all, it's not the end of the world even if I don't make it. And if I don't, all I need is continue to train and give it another shot sometime again. 

I tried not to push too hard at first. I started off at a brisk pace, trying to lock into a pace that could carry me though the entire distance without getting too exhausted to surge at the end. 

Though I don't have a pulse meter on, I know fairly accurately how fast my heart is beating from the way I feel. Also, I can judge the level of running intensity from the pace of breathing. When I breathe in 8 beat, I'm at jogging pace. By breathing in 8 beat I mean breathing in in 4 steps and breathing out in 4 steps. I also sometimes use 6 beat, inhaling in 3 steps and exhaling in 3 steps. This beat is chosen when I start picking up a pace in a marathon after running somewhere around 15 to 18 K. And then the 4 beat breath is a competitive mode, inhaling in 2 steps and exhaling in 2 steps. When I do a tempo run, I'm in this mode most of the time. 

Tonight if there is one thing I feel good about, other than running inside the target, that's that I was able to change the pace at my will until the last moment. This feeling that you are in control of your mind-body can only be achieved through continuous hard work. So far, I have been able to create a positive circle of hard training, followed by recovery training, followed by regular conditioning training, and then hard training again.

Though I sometimes skip training that I'm supposed to do when I feel sleep is more important than running, there is this sure feeling that I'm becoming stronger and more endurable toward the race in April.    


Tomorrow after work, I would like to do some recovery run. I don't know how far I will go. I'll go with the flow, going as far as I want to go depending on how I feel. 






No comments:

Post a Comment