Friday, January 15, 2021

Midnight 1-Hour Barefoot Jog

Jan. 15, 2021

11.4 K: 1:02:45

I jogged the  10 K loop that I had run twice for tempo run. The only difference is that in the previous two time trials I had shoes on, but that tonight I ran in bare feet. 


It was 80% easily runnable, but the remaining 20% was viciously rough. But that didn't hold me back, because my target race in April doesn't offer an ideally friendly road condition. The first 10 K is fairly smooth. The middle 20 K gradually gets rough. The last  10 K is fairly close to the poorly maintained 20 % of the course tonight. So, in a way running this course without shoes is perfect preparation for the real race. 


After two tempo runs, it felt easier to run the same course. But of course, that feeling is a result of a pace that's a lot easier. But I think there is another reason. Two nights ago, I hit illiopsoas muscles in 1000 mountain climbers. As a result, it feels easier to kick up my knees when climbing hills. Some running trainers say you don't need much muscle training to become a better marathoner. Most muscles that you need to develop for a marathon can be trained by running. It sounds fair at first. But then considering my age of 54, where you can so easily lose muscle mass unless you make a significant amount of conscious effort daily, regular muscle training seems necessary in order to maintain a decent level of total body stability and strength. So I will schedule at least one, ideally two, muscle training session, ideally as long as 30 minutes, weekly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment