Friday, January 17, 2020

Running in Jika Tabi in the Rain

Jan. 17, 2019
10.6 K: 1:08:08

I jogged in a pair of jika tabis. Jika tabis are traditional Japanese shoes. In modern Japan they are typically worn by scaffolding builders. White ones are formal dress shoes at traditional Japanese festivals. They come with adjusters called 'kohazes' at the back a little inside. Mine have seven kohazes on each. A kohaze is a flat metal piece as large as your finger nail. You hook it into a cotton loop to hold your foot. There is a rubber sole. It's about 5 mm thick. There is little cushioning. So it's good for minimalist runners. I jogged for a little longer than an hour to cover 10.6 K. It was drizzling, but didn't bother me at all.

Tomorrow is a big day for me. I'm scheduled to do a 10 K tempo run. The target pace is 4:55/K. I'm going to run a 2.5 K loop four times. The target lap for each 2. 5 K is 12:15. If I can keep the exact pace, I finish at 49 minutes sharp. Hopefully, I will achieve the goal comfortably. I worked so hard up to this point. I am looking forward to enjoying the fruit of the effort.







No comments:

Post a Comment