Thursday, January 16, 2020

Midnight Barefoot Jog: 11 K

Jan. 17, 2019
5.1 K: 30:26.91
5.98 K: 33:00.32
Total 11.08 K: 1:03:27

Earlier today news spread across the country that IAAF may change their regulations to ban NIKE's Vaporfly Next%. It's been debated since many former records were smashed by athletes who ran in the NIKE's magic shoes. Some athletes openly attribute their new CRs to the shoes. An official announcement is yet to be made. But other shoe makers that produce carbon-fiber-plated shoes must be worried.

Whatever decisions may be made, fairness of the sport is maintained as long as all runners run under the same regulations. Let's see what decisions will be officially announced.


As for me, IAAF's forthcoming regulation change doesn't make much of a difference, because I'm no professional runner belonging to the association, nor do I run solely for the sake of improving my time. My main athletic goal is to become a stronger version of myself. I do long-distance running, because to me "endurance" is one of the several important components that define "strength". If I improve my time with the aid of high-tech shoes, but if my cardio-vascular capacity and endurance haven't improved, my goal isn't achieved. Because improving my fitness and strength is the priority, not the time.

Anyway, I ran in bare feet tonight, and had a great feeling of satisfaction. The temperature was low, so it was fairly cold. But my soles are pretty much adapted to running on the pavement, so it was almost completely pain-free. Plus, when running barefoot, any imbalance in running form is immediately fed back to you in the form of slight discomfort or pain. So your running form is constantly fine-tuned as you run.                


No comments:

Post a Comment