Sunday, March 10, 2019

What a fun Sunday! (充実の日曜日)

March 10, 2019

What a fulfilling Sunday it was today! I renewed my perception that a day feels very long when you start the day early as well as when you have specific activities planned in advance instead of just impulsively reacting to this and that sensations that arise in your mind as you go with the flow.

]

Anyhow, I mainly did three activities today. All of them were exciting. I would like to write about them one by one.

1) Shotaro Akiyama Photo Exhibition
I went to Sakura City Museum of Art to see the Shotaro Akiyama Photo Exhibition. It was tremendously enlightening. I'm no photographer. But I enjoy all forms of art.  Photography is art. It tries to express something through the medium of photos. Each photographer tries to convey her or his individuality by the unique way in which they take photos. I was interested in discovering Mr. Akiyama's way.


Mr. Akiyama's photos at the exhibition mainly fall into four categories. They are as follows:
1) General
2) Actresses
3) Writers and Artists
4) Flowers

Among the four categories above 1) and 3 are my most favorite though 3 and 4 were impressive.

As far as 1) was concerned, I was most impressed with the way Mr. Akiyama selected objects and their compositions in photos. Objects were carefully selected, and so were compositions. Later, my intuition proved to be not totally off the mark when I read the artist's own explanation of his photography style that was hung on the wall of the museum. 

The next most impressive group of photos was those of writers and artists. I wonder how they got my attention more than those of actresses. After all the latter are the highlight of this exhibition. I suspect that the main reason is that actresses are used to photo shooting. The writers and artists are less so. Most wore little pretentiousness. One photo, which portraits an artist who is carefully probing his own work, shows a faint smile. His love of his job and the work he created are permeating through his expression. I thought that's one of the most beautiful smiles that I've ever seen. It's a truly satisfied expression of someone who loves what he does. 


The exhibition lasts until next week. I strongly recommend you to check it out. The museum is within a walking distance from Sakura Station on the Keisei Line. 

2) 20 K Run
The second big event is 20 K run. I ran from home to the museum. I was accompanied by a friend on mine from my elementary school days, Ui san. He biked from behind. It was cloudy, but warm. When we left home, we went past a nearby park. There was a festival going on. Kawazu cherry blossoms were in full bloom. People were carrying a mikoshi, or a portable shrine, on their shoulders. The place was packed with families with kids. It was filled with a festive atmosphere. 


The way to the museum was rich in undulation. The climax is a 450 M uphill. I sprinted to the best of my ability. My friend followed on his bike. When I reached the top, I was out of breath. But it felt awesome. 

When we finished seeing the exhibition, the sky was covered with dark clouds and the temperature had dropped significantly. We headed back home quickly, hoping to get home before getting caught in a shower. And get home before it rained we did!

3) Collecting Edible Wild Plants
After dinner I went to the bunk of the Inbanuma Pond. I went there to collect 'fukinoto'. Fukinoto is the flower of a plant. You can collect it in late February and early March. With a flashlight in my hand, I collected more than thirty. I collected them because they are Madam Fumiko's favorite. She likes to make 'tempura' with them. As she gets older, she can eat fewer kinds of food, and much less of each. But she shows an exceptionally voracious appetite for this particular kind of food. Hence, a night scooter ride to the pond!

To sum up, it was such a fulfilling Sunday. I spent some quality time with one of my best friends. I did what I love. And I did something for someone I love who loves me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment