Monday, March 11, 2019

Barefoot LSD: 30.4 K in 3:05:20

March 11, 2019
30.4 K: 3:05:20

With 13 days remaining before Sakura Asahi Kenko Marathon 2019, I wanted to do a session focusing on distance rather than speed. The last week is mainly devoted to final phase conditioning, and any significant contribution to increase in overall running ability cannot be expected, so this weekend is the only chance to do that.


 I had a choice between running shoes and going barefoot. I chose the latter because there was little chance of injury in LSD. You get blisters mostly when you run fast.

I jogged to the Kashiwai Water Treatment Plan taking the route above. It's a little less than 10 K to get there. (9.9 K)


 Once I got to the water plant, I lapped two loops of varied distances, one 2.2 K and the other 1 K, three times, and then added an extra lap of the shorter loop to cover 10.6 K around the water plant area. This is one of my most favorite training venues in recent times. There is a water tap at two places in a park. There are toilets available. The 2.2 K loop is rich in undulation. The 1 K loop is perfect for intervals. It's quiet at night. Traffic is little. 


I didn't pay much attention to my time as my focus was mainly on distance, not the time, but about an hour and 40 minutes into the session I felt hungry. I had no food with me, so I went on, saying to myself, "Now my body only needs to my fat reserve." 

Having run 9.9 K to come to the water plant, and additional 10.6 K around the plant, I only had another 9.9 K to run before reaching home. But it was never easy. Though I hydrated myself frequently enough, I repeatedly felt thirsty. It's a feeling I had in the last quarter of Sakura Marathon 2018. I think it has to do with a lack of potassium. But I had no sports drink with me, nor did I have money to buy some from a convenient store. I had no choice but go on.

With about 6 K remaining, I had a choice at an intersection. If I took a left, I could get home sooner, with only a K or thereabout to run. If I took a right, I would still have 6 K to cover. I decided to stick to my original goal and took a right, but it was getting harder for me to continue. I made a stop at a park and had some water though I knew it wouldn't make much difference.

I decided to slow down and ease the discomfort. It helped. But only temporarily. I continued to slow down. Whenever stopped by the red light at an intersection, I stretched my legs and Achilles tendons to distract my mind from the physiological discomfort running through my body.

With each step, though, the home got nearer. I closed my eyes and ran, and felt glad to find out I was closer to the goal every time I reopened my eyes. Three hours had passed since I left home, and my running distance was about to reach 30 K, but both of my soles were still enduring the countless contacts with the road. I was satisfied with their durability. 

When I finally got home, my watch said 3:05:20. 

Tomorrow I may take a full rest. Or if I'm in a mood, I might go for a short walk while listening to a business lecture by Brian Tracy. Tonight I was listening to his audio lectures while running. They are about time-management, achieving success, and leadership. They were all useful. I have a two-hour corporate seminar tomorrow. There are a number of useful messages that I want to share with my audience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment