Monday, December 31, 2018

New Year's Barefoot Run

Dec. 31, 2018-Jan. 1, 2019
22.6 K: 2:10:03

About an hour before the New Year I was running in bare feet to the water treatment plant where I was going to run some laps around the plant.  


With a massive cold wave having hit the Kanto region, it was blisteringly cold, especially the asphalt road. As I ran along, I feared my toes could be permanently damaged from frostbite. But in less than 5 minutes, I got used the cold. 


The road condition wasn't ideal tonight, so I had to run rather carefully, not to cause injury in my soles.


When I reached the water plant, and started doing laps around it, I hadn't decided how many laps I'd do, but I wanted to cover at least half marathon distance, so that'd be 7 laps. 

I ran the odd numbered laps counter-clockwise, and the even numbered ones clockwise, so as not to lose count. 

I welcomed the New Year while doing the laps, kind of striding over the temporal boundary between Year 2018 and Year 2019. I thought of a few new year's messages arrived on FB from my friends, but soon the thought was gone, and I was into the run. 

I came home between 1:00 and 2:00 a.m. I took a shower and stepped on the scale. I weighed just 60 kg. Good start. I want to one more kilogram to run Tateyama Wakashio Marathon 2019, weighing 59 kg. That's one of my first fitness goals of Year 2019. The key to success, I believe, is a good diet, especially a sufficient intake of fresh veggies. 

Tomorrow afternoon I am going to visit my bilingual companion and her folks in Chigasaki, and on the 2nd, we are going to cheer Hakone Ekiden runners on along Route  134. 

No comments:

Post a Comment