Friday, December 28, 2018

PR for 1 K Renewed! (3:20.11)

Dec. 28, 2018
Warm up 4 K: 23:47.49
Rest: 1:00.20
1 K fast run: 3:20.11 (PR)
Rest: 1:00.71
Warm down 6 K: 34:59.45
Total 11 K: 1:04:07



I have renewed my PR for 1 K. I'm so glad. I was originally planning to do intervals with six sets of 1 K run @ a 4:30/K pace. But I changed my mind at the last minute, and went for a time trial after a short warm up run. The result was the new PR. I immediately felt burned out after that, so I warmed down for about half an hour and finished for the day. 

But boy, was that tough!! I started off at such a fast pace right from the beginning, so before I turned the first corner, which is around 300 M from the start line, my legs started feeling heavy due to building lactic acid. What's unexpected was, though, that discomfort started building in my upper arms also. I wondered why at first. Then I figured that it was probably because of a forearm exercise I did yesterday. I did it till failure, so a certain amount of micro tear probably occurred in the arm muscles. So they were probably more susceptible to the oxygen debt created in my body by the significantly fast pace.

The second half of the run was even tougher, with my breathing becoming harder and harder with each step. I could feel I was slowing down. But I didn't want to slow down, because I was going for a new PR. But pushing further seemed next to impossible. One side of me said, "Just settle for what you can do." But a second later another side of me asked, "Is this the best you can?" I was torn between two voices, but even during this constant dialogue between the id and the superego, my ego continued to move his legs frantically, trying to get to the finish as soon as possible. Metabolic resistance created by the oxygen debt was reaching the peak. And a feeling of suffocation was unbearable. I couldn't keep my eyes open, because a mere perception of the remaining distance made me want to stop running right there and cry. I kept on going with my eyes closed, and on, and on... Next time I opened my eyes, I found myself only a few yards before the finish line. A moment later I crossed the line and pressed the stop button on my TIMEX. It said 3:20.11. I improved my time by 0:10.84 from the previous record of 3:30.95.





No comments:

Post a Comment