Thursday, June 1, 2017

5 K Run

On Thursday night I came home around midnight.
The TV was on, and a table tennis match was on.
Olympic medalist Jun Mizutani was losing against a 13-year-old new comer.
While I was changing into my running gear, the game ended,
and the medalist lost.
As I thought about the headlines of tomorrow's sports papers,
I slip my feet into my minimalist split-toe running shoes,
got out, and walked to the starting point of the day's training run.
The street was deserted when I got there.
I used to stretch a bit before starting to run.
But these days I skip it.
It's mainly because when I read "Running with the Kenyans"
by Mr. Adharanand Finn,
it was written that Kenyan runners hardly do stretching before running.
They simply kind of warm up as they run.
They do it and have no problem. Why not me?
That's the logic behind my recent approach.
As can be imagined, I have no problem, running with out warm up.

I cruised along my usual 2.5 K loop to finish the first lap in under 13:00.00.
I continued on for another lap, slightly increasing the pace.
While I was running the second lap, I was constantly asking myself
what to do next.
Will I go for another lap?
Will I do intervals.
While I was halfway into it, I was full of legs, and determined to go for another lap,
and then wrap it up with several intervals,
but by the time I was about to finish it,
I suddenly felt out of gas,
so I decided to call it quits so as not to over do it.
I have lessons to teach, and I need to save energy for them.
One of them is to prospective customers,
which requires a new kind of energy, and is a bit more stressful
in that I cannot assume so much common experience
like in the case of teaching regular students.

No comments:

Post a Comment