Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Ten-Minute Morning Exercises

I am sometimes in a mood for a run.
But I don't always have time to do so.
In that case, I replace running training
with body weight training of various kinds.
I like it because you can do it anywhere, anytime
without much equipment.
This morning I did some body weight core exercise
in a nearby park that requires no equipment.
Later on I did another exercise in yet another park
that has swings.
This time I used the metal poles and the swings
to do the workout.
The park was deserted and there were no kids,
so I hope I didn't cause anyone any trouble
using the facility for purposes they are not originally intended for.
Except that there was a cleaning guy
when I hit the park,
and he looked kind of suspicious of me doing the workout
using the facility designed for kids and their moms pops.

I believe the first workout is good for runners
as they are required to have single-legged stability
in the sport, and the exercise has lots of moments
where you hold your body weight in a single-legged position.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjxZfo_F1g

The second exercise is good to build your upper body strength.
It mainly hits chest and lats, but forearms are also significantly
engaged.
Since exercises hit the areas of your body that have large muscle mass,
they immediately raise your heart rates,
and start firing up your body when you are into the second set.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoh3t_w65xA

One of the two exercises in the second video is a static hold.
It's isometric. It doesn't look as dynamic as regular pull-ups
and chin-ups. But it can be a good start for those who cannot do those time-honored kings of upper body exercise.
For one thing, you can strength your grip.
Also, by starting from the top position and slowly sinking,
you can spend several seconds in the eccentric phase of a pull-up movement.
A physical trainer says that 70% of this effort will be transferred
to your performance in the concentric phase.
What it means is that by jumping to the poles (or a bar if you work with a horizontal bar), staying, and slowly coming down as you fatigue, and doing this process over and over again, you will eventually be able to do the regular pull-up
which is often considered the best benchmark of one's fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment