Sunday, January 20, 2019

Weighted 10.2 K Pace Run in Bare Feet

Jan. 19, 2019
5.1 K: 26:57.75
5.1 K: 26:45.86
10.2 K: 53:43.61

With eight days remaining before Tateyama Wakashio Marathon 2019, I did a 10.2 K pace run. I ran in bare feet with a 2 kg dumbbell in each of my hands.


I ran the first half in 26:57.75, and the second half about 12 seconds faster. As I had done a weighted run a few times, I got used to the extra burden. I expect the extra weight to force me to choose the most economical arm swing, and therefore when I run at a race without weights, my running economy will be greater.


Because I ran a faster pace today, the friction between the soles and the road was greater. But they withstood the greater friction nice and well. There was no pain, not to mention any blister developed in either of the soles as a result of the practice run.


From tomorrow on, I will strictly follow the training regimens recommended by former ultra marathon world best record holder Mr. Sunada. It looks like this:

Sunday: 90-minute jog
Monday: Off
Tuesday: 60-minute jog
Wednesday: 60-minute jog
Thursday: 60-minute jog
Friday:  Intervals: 1 K by 2 sets
Saturday: 60-minute jog
Sunday: Race

I still haven't decided whether to practice in shoes or barefooted. Any injury could kill all my previous effort, so I need to be careful. But at the same time, without adequate stimulus the soles can soon become softened. Also, if they become sore, it takes a while for them to heal. I do not want to run the race while they are still in a healing process as it takes two to three whole days for them to recover fully. So Thursday night will probably the last time I will practice in bare feet. Friday and Saturday I am most likely to practice in MUTEKI. 

No comments:

Post a Comment