Monday, January 28, 2019

裸足でサブ4:館山若潮マラソン2019 (My First Barefoot Sub-4 Marathon: Tateyama Wakashio Marathon 2019 )

Jan. 27, 2019
42.195 K: 3:54:16 gross (3:52:43 net)

On Jan. 27, 2019 Tateyama Wakashio Marathon 2019 took place. I joined it in bare feet, and ran my first sub-four marathon without wearing shoes. There was an added bonus of running a negative split (running the second half faster than the first half). Below is a report of how I ran the race.

The gun went off at ten o'clock sharp. I ran from the coral for runners aiming for sub-4. It was sunny with daytime highs expected to reach 10 degrees Celsius and the humidity of 60 %. Occasionally fairly strong winds blew from the north-north-east, but other than that the condition was good for a marathon.

I kept telling myself that the first half was warm up. I carefully ran on painted lines on the road with smooth surface. It was an important strategy to minimize damage to the sole. I talked with every part of my body--my legs, my feet, my knees, my ankles, my back, my cardio, and so on. They said they were ready, and that they were enjoying every step of it. I felt both relaxed and strong. 

Near the first aid station I took my first pee-break. In the past I would have been upset about time loss. But today I didn't mind it at all. My main goal was not to renew my PR. My goal was to complete the race in bare feet. It was going to be a long and hard journey. I knew I should take comfort over speed.

I ignored the first aid station and made my first stop at the second one at the 11 K mark where custard cream bread from local bakery Nakamuraya's was served. I grabbed four pieces, holding two in my both hands, and put the other two into a small ramie bag tied to my waist strap. I enjoyed having all four over the next couple of kilometers. 

Around the 12 K mark the course slowly curved to the south, and winds stopped. Suddenly strong rays of the sun were felt on my forehead and I could feel the temperature was up a couple of degrees. From there the course continued to go east southeast for almost 10 kilometers. It's almost straight. Also, there were downward inclines every now and then. Most inexperienced runners will pick up the pace here. I did so when I first ran this course. But this is where strategic patience is required, because once past the halfway point and past the 22 K mark, the course takes a U-turn into a west-north-west-bound road that leads to the hilliest part of the course. Being too bullish before hitting this area can take a toll on your legs. Saving energy is the key to success. So I took two strategic pee breaks after my first one before getting into the more challenging section, alleviating all sources of future anxiety as well as giving a strategic rest to my legs.


When I finally reached the 25.5 K point where my friend Ui san waited to cheer me on, I was almost 15 minutes slower than last year. Later he told me that something was definitely wrong with me. At this point he never imagined that I would run a negative split. But he was right about one thing. There WAS something wrong. Not so much about me, but rather about the road condition! It was far worse than I had expected, and that DID keep me from running as fast as I wanted to. But the flip side was that I was able to save up enough energy for the latter half which is much richer in undulation. 

The deterioration of the road condition after the 25.5 K was beyond description. I often had to significantly slow down to avoid injury. Then came the so-called "Wall" which is a long and steep hill that lasts for almost 500 meters. This is the biggest challenge the course presents to the runners, and it is also the section of the course that I most welcome. I run this course to conquer it! Thanks to a temporary adrenaline rush I felt less pain as I hammered up the incline. I overtook one runner after another. Many were gasping for air, contorting their faces in grimace. Some were taking care of cramps midway up the hill. They were paying the price for going too fast in the first half. 

Once I reached the top of the hill, I relaxed for a moment and then started a descent at an equally brisk pace. 

Soon another aid station was in sight near the 32 K mark. Locally grown strawberries were served. I grabbed four of them, and threw them into my mouth one after another. They were incredibly sweet and my motivation shot up right away. As I went farther away from the aid station, a faint smell of the sea was in the air. I felt a sure proximity to the coastline. 

A few minutes after I left the aid station, the course took a right into a straight down hill that leads right to the coastal road. A majestic view of the Gulf of Tateyama suddenly opened up ahead. However, this straight road had the worst road surface in the entire course. I had no choice but walk for a while. And when I realized that not even walking was possible, I stepped aside to the sandy bank and walked down the bank for 10 meters until I finally reached the coastal road where the condition was much, much better. 

Once back on the coastal road, I wasted no time and surged. The last quarter of the race is the hardest for most citizen runners. It was the case for me too in the past. But today I was a different man. I was waiting for this moment. I was so happy I was still full of legs at this stage of the race. I hammered down the road, overtaking another barefoot runner near the 35 K mark who had left me behind in the initial phase. He was hurting significantly. I talked to him as I went past him, but no reply was returned. That said it all.

When I was finally back on Hojo Kaigan Dori Street leading straight into the finish area, I only had 3 K to go. Near the 40 K mark I finally overtook the sub-4 pacer. I didn't have the slightest intention of going with him. I got around a huge crowd of citizen runners surrounding the pacer into the front of the pack. I was going so fast that a roar of surprise was heard behind me. But my mind was so set on going as fast as I could and finishing strongly that they were soon off my mind. 

A mid-size condominium with an orange roof designed in Southern French fashion is a landmark 300 meters from the finish line. I waited for it to come in sight as I pressed on. Congratulatory words welcomed in returning runners. I looked back on the long and hard journey, especially the formidably rough road surface at so many sections of the course, and I was overwhelmed with emotion and tears welled up in my eyes. My vision was blurred, and I couldn't see well. There were now so many people on both sides of the street. They were walls of encouraging cheerers, clapping hands and shouting congratulatory remarks at the top of their voices. 

Then came the last left-turn into the home stretch. A pebbled part stretched for about 20 meters before fluffy lawn started. Sharp pain shot through my spine and I almost choked. My face contorted in agony. I literally tip-toed through it. Some spectators who knew very well I meant business couldn't help but laugh to see me troubled. But when that last ordeal of the race was finally over, I wasted no time and kicked to the finish line like a mad dog. And at 1:54:16 p.m., exactly 3:52:43 after I crossed the start line, I crossed the finish line.


Mission accomplished! I ran my first barefoot sub-4 marathon in 3:54:16 gross and 3:53:43 net.


My next race is the Ohme 30 K Road Race. It is held on Feb. 17. My goal is to run the entire course in bare feet. There is no time goal. My PR recorded last year is pretty good. Running my first barefoot 30 K road race and renewing my PR for that distance at the same time seems too ambitious for me. I want to achieve one goal at a time. This year I want to run for a modest goal of completing the race in bare feet. Then in Year 2020, which is the Olympic year, I want to go for my PR in bare feet. 


To close this report I want to thank my friend Ui san who volunteered to give me a ride to the venue, my bilingual companion Chiaki who managed my diet and total health care, and my runner friend Takahashi san who ran with me to make the event memorable. He had a broken rib, but dared to run the race and went as far as 10 K. Awesome achievement! Both thumbs up for his bravery.







No comments:

Post a Comment