Monday, January 7, 2019

LSD, or Long Slow Distance

Jan. 7, 2019
10 K: 1:06:46
10 K: 1:04:10
Total 20 K: 2:10:56

A hint of soreness crept into my legs a day after double training. I was afraid they could be as stiff as a log if I didn't do anything, so I decided to do an LSD session for a minimum of two hours just to loosen up my leg muscles.


I ran the 9.9 K course below, but added a short lap around my block to make it 10 K. 

When I first started off, my mind was heavy with a prospect of many miles ahead. But when I reached the end of the first half, there was a tremendous surge of endorphins, which gave me motivation to go on.

The second half was physically harder, but mentally less stressful. I paid more attention to my form than simply to reaching the target distance. I looked up at the starry sky and enjoyed the vastness of the universe.

In the last kilometer I picked up the pace as if it were the last K in a real full marathon, though time wasn't the main goal of the training tonight. But the idea of being able to change the pace if I want to was a confidence booster. 

When I finally reached home and stopped the timer, I knew I had negative-split it again, though once again that's not the main goal of the training tonight, but nonetheless it adds to a feeling of achievement, because that's how I always want to finish a race--to finish strongly.

Tomorrow I will give myself a full rest. And on Wednesday night I will choose between an hour jog and interval training depending on my mood. 






No comments:

Post a Comment