Thursday, July 12, 2018

Thursday Intervals: 3 K + 2 K + 1 K


Thursday night is interval night. Today I did something I had never done before: 3 K + 2 K + 1 K. The biggest challenge, of course, is that you need to keep the target pace of 4:30/K three times without taking a rest after each K. Also, after running the first 3 K, you move onto the next 2 K run with only an interval of one minute, not any longer than when you run 1 K six times with a rest of one minute between laps. Finally, you try to run the last K as fast as you can, instead of just trying to finish under 4:30.

I began with a 20-minute jog in MUTEKI, minimalist split-toe shoes by Kineya. Then after a short rest I began the intervals around the 880 M loop, and the 650 M loop inside the larger one. The laps are shown below:
3 K: 13:46.55
Active Rest: 1:00.13
2 K: 8:56.88
Active Rest: 1:00.24
1 K: 4:16.57
Total 6 K: 32:10.76

In the first 3 K run I fell short of the 4:30 target by almost 5 seconds for each K. But that's expected. It was my first time. My body wasn't used to the challenge. But the second run, which was 2 K, was good. I came under the target of 9:00.00. The last run, which is 1 K, was even better. I came almost 14 seconds within the target. Someday I hope to come under 4:00.00 after doing the first two runs in longer distances.
After the intervals, I took off the shoes and jogged barefoot for twenty minutes. It was the most refreshing and pleasant part of tonight's training session. Nothing can beat the overwhelmingly liberating feeling of running without shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment