Sunday, July 8, 2018

Double Training Part 2: 19.5 K Run in Baretrek


The Baretrek sucks! The pattern on the sole of both shoes has been half gone after running in them only three times. But they still do the minimum job of protecting the blister already formed. As long as they enable me to run even with a minor blister, anything will do. So I went for another practice run for the day tonight in my Baretrek. The Baretrek offers zero cushioning, and that's good.  Cushioning really sucks. It deprives me of the joy of feeling the landing shock, which happens to be why I prefer running to cycling. It increases the risk of spraining ankles. Never have I sprained my ankle even once since I stopped running in shoes with cushioning. That says it all.

Anyhow, in addition to the 11 K I ran barefoot this afternoon, I ran 19.5 K more to bring today's total running distance to 30.5 K. Hooray! It's been a while since I ran beyond 30 K last. It feels really good. It tremendously raises your self-esteem. 30 is a good benchmark for many long-distance runners. 25 is easily doable if you are a frequent half-marathon finisher. But 30 is not. You need to be in a very good condition. Lack of sleep is out of question. Going for 30 after drinking on a previous night is unthinkable. You need determination, which you can only muster up when you have your body's batteries fully charged. Of course, running a total of 30 K in a day by splitting it into two parts like I did today is a lot easier than running the same distance at a time. But I can do it some other time, when the race in October comes near.

Tonight I began with a 6 K shuttle course with hills, ran a 2.5 K loop twice, ran the 6 K shuttle course again, and finally ran the 2.5 K loo once to reach a total of 19.5 K. The times are show below: 
6 K shuttle course + 2.5 K loop + 2.5 K loop=11 K: 1:00.13
6 K shuttle course + 2.5 K loop=8.5 K: 48.34
Total 19.5 K: 1:48.47

No comments:

Post a Comment