Thursday, October 5, 2017

Kazuo Ishiguro Wins Nobel Prize

Big news spread across Japan this morning. Japanese-born British citizen Kazuo Ishiguro won the Nobel Prize in Literature. Though I've been a big fan of him, and for that reason I am very happy to hear the good news, the news was unexpected, especially in the country where a whole bunch of so-called Haruki-ists were eagerly looking forward to world-renowned Haruki Murakami receiving the long-awaited prize.

I'm on my way to Ohfuna where I'm teaching a seminar this afternoon, and on my lap is "Never Let Me Go", one of his best-selling novels. In 2010 when the movie adaptation of the book came to Japan, I went to a small theater in Shibuya with a Chinese friend girl of mine and watched it. I enjoyed it a lot. I instantly became his fan, and I immediately bought the book, and while I was reading it, I watched "The Remains of the Day". I enjoyed both. "The Remains of the Day" was widely acclaimed, with Anthony Hopkins in the leading role and showing Oscar-worthy performances. But what satisfied me most was that I thought I reached one of the core values of the author: one finds happiness in one's field of expertise.

I listened to his interview immediately after he won the prize, and he clearly stated this value of his in the speech. He said something like, "I wanted to say to everyone that being financially successful and getting ahead in life is not the only form of happiness. There are things that are a lot more important than that." I couldn't agree more.

I hope many people will read his books or their movie adaptations. I think it will allow them to re-think their values and how they are going to live the rest of their lives. As for me, I'm considering reading "The Remains of the Day". I've seen the film. But I haven't read the book yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment