Friday, December 11, 2020

10 K Hill Tempo Run

Dec. 11, 2020

Warm Up 2 K: 12:00.45

<10 K Hill Tempo Run: Ultimate Target=4:35/K>

1st K: 4:31.27

I started off at a brisk pace, but was also careful not to go too quick. Extended my stride when going down, and increased cadence and ran in a shorter stride when going up for running economy.                                                                              

2nd K: 4:41.78

The Ks in the even number sets are harder, because the uphill is steeper than the Ks in the odd number sets. The lap deteriorates. But that's expected. 

3rd K: 4:42.68

The heart rate is still significantly high mainly from hammering up the uphill in the last phase of the second K. Want to bring it to a decent level, but soon comes a long downhill where I inevitably increase the pace for a time gain. Once I hit the bottom of the downhill, a slight uphill comes. The incline is minimum, so I control my breathing here to prepare for the second half which is mainly an uphill, not as steep as the last hill of the even number sets. 

4th K: 4:36.65

Surprisingly, the lap was better than the one that immediately preceded it though this one should be harder and therefore the time was expected to be worse. This is mainly because my body was gradually adapted to the fast pace.   

5th K: 4:39.97

I carried on at about the same pace. 

6th K: 4:44.53

The fast pace in the previous two sets slowly started taking a toll on my legs. An inner talk began. Should I quit with this lap? Or should I push myself through till the end???

7th K: 4:41.73

Lactic acid starts building in the legs, making it harder and harder to keep a brisk pace, let along increase it! 

8th K: 4:47.48

Shocked to see my time. It's not even under 4:45. I feel like crying from misery. But promise myself not to be a quitter. I keep on going into the 9th set.  

9th K: 4:43.26

I keep saying to myself, "Two more sets, and it's all over. Two more sets. Just two more sets."

Final K: 4:37.41

A prospect of imminent finish lifts my spirit. I work my arms more to keep a brisk pace. Gave everything I had while climbing the hill. When I reached the top, I felt like nothing more was left in my tank. But there was still a hundred meters to go. I try to surge, but my body won't respond. It feels as though my throat was choked with sand and half-digested pasta was welling up from the stomach. I felt sick to the core. But I pushed. And push I did to finally crossed the finish line to cover the last K in the 3rd best lap for the night.  

Sub-total 10 K: 46:47

Warm Down 2 K: 12:17.92

Total 12 K: 1:11:05









No comments:

Post a Comment