Thursday, May 30, 2019

9 K Morning Run in the Rain in Hakata

May 21, 2019

I'm in Hakata. I have a seminar between 13:45 and 16:00. I flew into the city last night on a 5 o'clock flight departing from Haneda.


It's drizzling over here in the city of spicy cod's roe. But that doesn't stop me from running.

I had breakfast prior to training. Meal was offered only until 9. I didn't want to rush.

Once I finished my meal, I hit the road immediately.

The streets in Central Hakawa were already crowded with students and business people on their way to school and work. I went northeast until I hit the Mikasagawa River. Then I ran along it southeast, then took two right turns in less than 300 meters to return to where I started off. I ran this loop three times, and added three loops around the Nakahie Park, and also one extra loop around some block. The total running distance was probably around 9 K or thereabout considering my pace, and also the time it took (50 minutes).

While running, a man overtook me from behind. He looked slightly older than me, and carrying a backpack on his back. He was in athletic outfit, and running briskly. He looked like a well-trained citizen runner whose PR is presumably between 3 and 3.5 hours. His cadence was high, and he had muscular calves. And when he passed me, his breathing was easy. I was like, "Good Heavens! How the hell can he do it? He's carrying a backpack looking so heavy considering the way it thuds every time he lands on the ground. Amazingly strong man. And he looks like a man in his mid 50s!"

I don't have the intention to compare me and him. But it certainly is a good motivator to see someone older than you who apparently looks stronger than you. I thought, "Hey! I want to be strong like him!"


No comments:

Post a Comment