Monday, May 20, 2019

26.2 K Barefoot LSD in the Rain

May 20, 2019
13.1 K: 1:14:52
13.1 K: 1:07:59
26.2 K: 2:22.52

It's three days after 15 K build-up training. With a hectic Saturday and Sunday tied up with an annual mechanical check-up of my motorcycle, I haven't been able to make time to do a long run. But tonight I finally did.

My goal tonight was two. One, to run more than 25 K. Two, to run a negative split.


The course tonight is the same as what I ran two Sundays ago. What's good about this course is that there is tap water and a public toilet available at regular intervals. Also, it's rich in undulation, so I can train different muscles, and practice strategically changing my running form according to the degree of incline. 


The neighborhood around the water plant has seen a steady decline in population recently, and therefore it's very quiet, and traffic is little. It's perfect for a night run. 

 The park across from the water plant offers both a public toilet and tap water. Two Sundays ago I ran the 1 K loop first and then the 2.2 K square loop around the water plant after than to cover 3.2 K in the neighborhood, added that to the 19.8 K covered by running the shuttle course between the water plant and home to make it a solid 23 K run session.

Tonight I ran the 1 K  & 2.2 K combo twice to add 6.4 K to the shuttle course to cover 26.2 K.

I ran the first 13.1 K in 1:14.52, and the latter half in 1:07.59 to finish at 2:22:52.

By the way, while running the second half, it started raining, and it got stronger as time went by. In the past I didn't enjoy running in rain. But these days I kind of welcome it. Two Japanese athletes showed a fantastic performance in rainy races. They were able to do so because they trained in rain often. Therefore they were accustomed to the condition. I want to be accustomed to it too. After all, you have no control over the weather. If you regard it as a limiting factor, you end up being affected by it. But if you learn to adapt yourself to it, it's no long a limiting factor. You simply cope with it. And if you are used to coping with sudden increment weather conditions, you are no longer controlled by it. 

Anyhow, tomorrow I will rest to recoup. And on Wednesday I will probably jog 10 K and put off the intervals until Thursday.




No comments:

Post a Comment