Sunday, February 24, 2019

Race Report: Ohme 30 K Road Race 2019

On Feb. 17, 2019 I ran the 53rd Ohme 30 K Road Race. I renewed my previous PR of 2:29:45 (Gross)/2:27:10 (Net) by almost two and a half minutes to finish at 2:27:22 (Gross)/2:24:31 (Net). 

It was my first time to run the entire race completely in bare feet; last year I ran in aqua shoes and took them off at 2 kilometers to the finish line. Though I embarked on the race with a mixed feeling of excitement and anxiety, as the race progressed, excitement as well as the increasing determination to complete the feat got the better of anxiety, and I was able to cross the finish line without giving in to the excruciating pain in both of my naked soles. Below is a report of how I ran the race.


The temperature was 8 degrees Celsius at the start time of 11:30 a.m. It was sunny with slight north northeast winds. The humidity was around 33 %. Daytime highs were expected to reach 13 degrees Celsius around the time of my estimated finish time of 2:00 p.m.

Two big guests were invited to the event: Sydney Olympics women's marathon gold medalist Ms. Naoko Takahashi and Athens Olympics women's marathon gold medalist Ms. Mizuki Noguchi. Shortly before the official start Ms. Takahashi gave the waiting runners advice and a pep talk. After that, Ms. Noguchi took over, and banged the gun, and the race was officially under way!

Just as always, it's not until after the first couple of minutes that you can start "running" because there are so many runners in my coral as well as those in front of mine, and they move slowly near the start line as they wave at the guests and also because quite a few even take out their smartphones to take photos of them. Being a huge fan of the both runners I got close to the side where the car stood that had the stage on top where the guests stood to wave at the passing runners. When I finally reached the car, I looked up at the stage and said, "Noguchi san!!" She heard my voice, looked down on me, and cried, "Wow, barefoot!" It was then followed by a friendly comment by Ms. Takahashi, "Watch your step!"

Having my barefoot attempt recognized by the both Olympic gold medalists, I was ecstatic. It sure is going to be one of the most memorable races that I'll ever have run."  

The first few kilometers are almost flat. I carefully checked the road surface condition as I mentally calculated how much the damage to my soles would eventually amount to as the race progressed. I carefully ran on the center line with smooth surface to minimize the damage to the sole. 

Toward the 5 K mark near JR Miyanohira Station a gentle ascent continues and once it peaks near the station a long descent follows. This slope, which becomes an ascent when coming back, is going to be the second of the two challenges in the latter half of the race. In the past I would often come to a complete halt around here due to a cramp in my leg. I was weak. And I was inexperienced. This year I was most looking forward to it, because I was prepared to overtake struggling runners who went too bullish and ran out of gas.

Near the 8 K mark another descent began. This time it's much longer than the first one near Myanohira Station. This is the heart-break hill of Futamatao, and it's the biggest challenge in the second half. In the first half, though, this is where you can catch up on the time loss in the initial phase. There is no runner coming back yet on the opposite lane, so quite a few runners stepped over the center line and overtook slower runners ahead. I was one of them. 

Soon the 10 K mark was in sight. The sensor bar is set across the road, and is covered with a rubber sheet to keep runners from stumbling. It's located in a shade created by a small forest on the left. The temperature noticeably drops almost by a degree or two. A beep echoed in the mountain as one runner after another went past the sensor.

Shortly past the 10 K mark, my friend Taeko san was in sight. She is an aid worker. She stood on the center line to navigate runners away from the opposite lane, because in no time leaders were expected to return from the turning point. 

No sooner had I exchanged greetings with Taeko san than the leader returned forwarded by two police officers on motorcycles. It's Ezekiel Chebotibin of Kenya. He came flashing down like a thunder lightning and went out of my sight like a fleeting phantom. Up close he was beautiful like a wild cheetah in savanna. 

The second group came almost a minute or two after Ezekiel. Then a series of young college athletes followed in groups of varied sizes. The number of returning runners started to increase little by little after that. And in no time it became a flood of advanced citizen runners. 

Around the 12 K mark near JR Mitake Station my bilingual companion was expecting me. She and I had carefully discussed the meeting point, so I was easily able to spot her almost 50 meters away. I slowed down a little so that she could take photos of me with ease. I waved at her and posed for photo-shooting. Soon I got back in business. Next time I see her is around the 18 K mark when I am returning from the turning point. 

Between the 12 K mark and the turning point the course is basically an ascent. And it becomes steeper as the turning point gets near. The road gets narrower in this part and passage through runners becomes harder. But I didn't want to slow down because of slowing runners. I maneuvered through them for time gain. 

While running the last few kilometers of the first half, I was able to meet Mr. F returning from the top. He is a student of mine at the English school I work at. He is a much faster runner than myself. Thanks to the tiger print one-piece costume I had on he spotted me easily and waved at me. We exchanged a high five, and wised each other the best of luck. 

His bullish run inspired me to drive myself up the hill. I changed the gear, took shorter, but much faster strides, and overtook one runner after another. Increasing the pace at this stage of the race would be hard to do in the past, because I was afraid of running out of gas in the second half. But this year I didn't have the slightest concern. I was stronger. I was more efficient. So when I finally reached the turning point, I was almost two minutes ahead of schedule. And I was still full of legs. 

Now a major descent started. From this point on, it's a totally different ball game. I shifted the gear up, and stormed down the slope like a mad dog. I could tell the friction on the sole increased, but I didn't feel much pain mainly because of an adrenaline rash. 

Hashimoto san, who I ran many races together, found me and called my name as we passed each other. Soon Fujimori san, found me and shouted, "Go, caveman!" from the opposite lane. I returned thank you to both of them, and wished them both a good run.

Before the 20 K mark local sweets were served. I grabbed one small piece of cake with 'yuzu' citrus flavored sweet bean paste in it, and motivated myself to tackle the biggest challenge of the second half--the heart-break hill of Futamatao. 

Between the food station and the hear-break hill I saw Taeko san again, and she and I exchanged a high five. It lifted my spirits.  

When I finally reached the start of the hill, I was more excited than tired. God only knows how many times had I practiced running up hills in my training leading to the race. My whole body immediately adjusted to the change in incline and I didn't feel like I was going up at all. My heart rates remained almost the same, and the top of the hill got nearer and nearer with each step. I was overtaken by a number of runners while climbing, but since my heart rates were well under control I wasted no time to shift the gear when a descent started again. I overtook all the runners who had overtaken me while climbing. But they had no legs to strike back. 

I pressed on for a few kilometers until I finally reached the start of the second uphill before JR Miyanohira Station. By this time though, my soles had gotten rather sore. I was afraid there was a minor cut in the right toe, and another in the right heel. But there's no way I stop and check them. I ran on the center line because it's smoother than the car lane. 

I made a stop at the water station at the 25 K mark just before the station. I grabbed a cup of sports drink and a cup of water. It's going to be my last hydration stop. Once I reach the top of the hill, it's all going down for about one kilometer, and after that it's all flat through downtown Ohme.

I increased the pace once past the station and the course started going down. But the soreness in the sole got worse with each step. I continued to run on the center line which was blocked by aid workers who were there to keep runners from getting into the opposite lane. But most of them allowed my passage on the center line when they saw me storming down with presumably a face of a mad man and nothing on my feet. I heard some say, "Holy mackerel! Bare feet!?"

As the finish line approached the size of the cheering crowd got larger and the volume of their cheering voice got louder. Many recognized me and congratulated me on my safe return with some wildly reacting to my barefooted attempt at one of the most prestigious races that Tokyo hosts.

When I finally reached the last intersection before the finish, I looked high and low for my bilingual companion who was supposed to have returned from JR Mitake Station by then. But I couldn't find her. Assuming she couldn't come back in time in the back of my head because the official timer said two twenty-seven something gross when I turned the corner. That's almost the same as my net time from the previous year. There is a hundred meters left. I should be able to finish under 2:28:00 gross unless I have a heart attack before crossing the finish line. And I didn't. I crossed the line at 2:27:22. The net time should surely be a lot better than that, which means I have renewed my PR. And without shoes on!! 


At the rest area for finishers a number of costumed runners kindly came to me and congratulated me on my barefoot completion. One of them was a guy dressed as Batman. Another was a man dressed as a 'Shocker' from popular hero drama "The Masked Rider". I was so glad, although by then the power of adrenaline suddenly started to wane, and the pain in the sole felt more acute and even slow walking became almost unbearable. I tip-toed back inside the gym and waited for my runner friends. 

That night I had the most delicious beer in recent months with my runner friends at a local izakaya restaurant. 

My next race is Sakura Asahi Kenko Marathon 2019. It takes place on Mach 24. The road condition is far worse than in Ohme. I am not sure if my soles can withstand the viciously rough condition of almost the 80% of the entire course. But I want to give it a try, because only in an unknown territory will I be able to discover something exciting. 










No comments:

Post a Comment