Friday, September 28, 2018

Three Weeks Before Aqua Line Marathon 2018

Sept. 27, 2018


It's been four days since Road Race Chikura 2018. And it's also three weeks to Aqua Line Marathon 2018. Ever since I ran my last full marathon in Sakura last March, I've been loosely following this training regimen recommended by former ultra marathon world record holder Mr. Hirotaka Sunada. It's a combination of jogging, intervals, pace run, and LSD. I do not strictly follow his recommendation, because I find it too challenging for my aging body. Instead I have set some priorities. Interval training is one of them. It's a fast-paced 1 K run repeated certain times with a brief active rest between runs. I'd tried several different kinds of intervals before trying his. But in the one recommended by Mr. Sunada, the rest between sets is brief: only one minute. Before trying his approach, I would usually take a two-minute rest between sets, but the target pace was faster: 4:00/K. And I did minimum seven repeats, sometimes ten, or even thirteen. In Mr. Sunada's regimen, the number of sets is six, and the target is a lot slower: 4:30/K. But when I did it, it was more challenging than I thought. I was surprised to find out that although the target pace is not so challenging, that you can increase the challenge of the training by reducing recovery time. I was drenched with sweat when I first completed six 1 K repeats the way he recommended.

As the race comes nearer, Mr. Sunada gradually introduces slight alterations. For example, what used to be six 1 K repeats becomes a 3K + 2K + 1 K session. The target pace and the recovery time remain the same. When I first did it, I couldn't complete it. First, in the first 3 K session, I could make the target time of 13:30.00. I remember it was 13:45.XX or there about. Then during the next session, the 2 K one, I gave up, because I couldn't stand the metabolic challenge that was new to me. When I tried it for the second time, although I completed it, I fell behind the target time either in the first 3 K session, or the following 2 K session. I was still not strong enough to face the new challenge. But at the third time around I was finally able to meet the target in all three.

The 3K + 2K + 1K session was then followed by a 5 K + 1 K session. A mere prospect of running such a long distance at such a fairly challenging pace (for me at least!) without a rest made me feel nervous. But to my surprise, I met the challenge at the first attempt. I realized that I had become strong enough to do it while I was struggling to complete the previous program: 3K + 2K + 1K. I deepened my trust in Mr. Sunada's system.

Anyhow, back to talking about tonight's session, it was 2K + 2K + 1K. I began with a light 20-minute jog. And then after a brief active rest I started intervals. The first 2K was OK. I came under the target time of 9:00.00.  But I felt rather weak, not so much in terms of physical condition; but rather in terms of motivation as I mentioned earlier. I didn't feel focused. But while I was on a break, I kept saying to myself those words by German poet Goethe: "Just begin, and your mind grows heated. Continue, and the task will be completed." Only action ignites motivation. 

The lap for the second run was better although I was still fighting with low motivation while running. The better time in the second session gave me the motivation to do the last run. The time was well within the target of 4:30.00. I was glad. 

I walked back home to drop a bottle of water, and hit the road again for a warm-down jog. I was originally planning to run just 20 minutes, but I felt good, so I extended the distance just a little to run 4 K in 24:32.39. Find the details of my training tonight below:

Jog (3.4K): 21:15.61
Walk: 4:10.24
1st 2K: 8:51.48
Active Rest: 1:00.15
2nd 2K: 8:26.70
Active Rest: 1:00.20
Last 1K: 4:00.24
Walk: 3:49.49
Jog (4K): 24:32.39
Total 12.4K: 1:17:06

Again, I met the target in all three fast runs. I feel glad. But it was never easy. The biggest challenge was motivation. I found it hard to maintain it. It was mainly because I was still a bit burned out from the Road Race Chikura. I ran an official half marathon entirely without wearing shoes. There was a great feeling of achievement. But that created a temporary vacuum in my motivation. I probably needed a complete rest for a while, but with another race coming soon, my mind was not completely relaxed. I hadn't completely been refreshed. So while I was running the 2 K, I was constantly thinking about food, not the run. I guess I was trying to motivate myself by thinking about how to reward myself. I do that sometimes, but the intensity was incomparable tonight.





No comments:

Post a Comment