Sunday, September 16, 2018

Race Report: Kyoho no Oka 20 K Road Race 2018

Sept. 16, 2018

On Sept. 16, 2018 Kyoho no Oka 20 K Road Race 2018 took place in Yamanashi City, Japan. The race is well-known for its altitude difference between the lowest and the highest point of the course: 300 M. For the first time in my life I ran the entire race without shoes. Although barefoot running is common among small children in those countries in East Africa that have produced many world-renowned long-distance runners, it still seems regarded as quite a feat in Japan. I received quite a wild reaction from not only cheerers but also fellow runners. It was a tremendous motivation boost.


Although the time (1:37:50) is not so remarkable, especially compared with the time (1:29:36) from last year, I am satisfied because my ultimate goal this year was not to renew my PR, but to run it without shoes.

A large blister was made in my right sole near the heel while running down a steep downhill within 3 K of the finish line. It was not very common during training. I assume that I was slightly leaning backward as I ran down, trying to control the speed, and ended up striking on my heel without realizing it. It was a great learning experience. Luckily, the blister isn't painful at all. Hopefully, it will heal in a few days, and by next weekend, when I'm running a half marathon in Chikura, I will have been OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment