Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Pre-Work One-Hour Mental Training

Oct. 28, 2021

Immanuel Kant is known for his highly routinized life style. Daily writing and daily walking were two of his regular daily activities. He kept such regular hours that local people are said to have corrected their clocks by observing Immanuel's activities. What a man of habit!

Immanuel Kant (1724-1804)

Inspired by this great 18th century German thinker, I try to maintain some good habits myself. One of them is reading. Another is writing. Yet another is exercising. As result, I tend to write about what I read. Also, I tend to write about what I do to stay in shape. Today I am going to write about what I read. 

This morning I read two email magazines that I subscribe to. One is by Takashi Harada. The other is by Satoshi Aoko. I would like to report what they say and discuss what I think about each.

<Takashi Harada's Email Magazine: Ideal Work Environment>

What is an ideal work environment for you? Takashi discusses it this week. The concept itself covers a wide range of factors. But this week Takashi focuses on psychological factors. How do psychological environments affect your work, especially your productivity?  A large-scare survey was conducted by his company using questionnaires. It revealed that two key emotions vitally affect productivity. They are:

1) anxiety

2) feeling of importance

In other words, when there is little worry, people work better. Also, people feel important, they work better. Both seem so obvious. But in the past it seems common in Japan that someone in managerial position would try to control her or his workers with fear by hinting at demotion. Also, it was so common in TV dramas that someone in managerial position would criticize her or his workers in brutally harsh words which by modern standard could hardly be acceptable.

So, two key psychological factors: anxiety and feeling of importance. They affect productivity. If you want everyone to willingly work hard and be more productive, everyone should do their best to eliminate fear and make everyone feel important. How? That's what each one of us should think.

<Satoshi Aoki's Email Magazine: Never Forget Your Roots>

What are your roots? Satoshi asks you. He asks you this because he believes it's important if you want success with your career. His company is so focused on helping people make success. From what I understand by reading many of his books, two things are important if you want success in life. One, know what you want. Two, do what you must do to get that thing which you want. Very simple. 

Then, where does this "know your roots" thing fit? In my personal opinion, it has to do with energy. It has to do with ever-self-recharging motivational batteries that carry you through ups and downs toward your goal. You can also call it cause or purpose. Why am I doing what I'm doing now?

For example, I am an English teacher. I enjoy what I do. Well, most of the time. At times, a feeling of frustration engulfs me. On very rare occasions do I experience a feeling of meaninglessness, though it doesn't last long. A reason why such negative emotions creep into my mind is often physical fatigue resulting from overwork. But I always overcome such a negative state of mind-body, and recover resiliently and rise to important daily challenges again. What enables me to do that? Well, the answer is my roots. I know why I became a teacher, why I am still being a teacher, and why I will continue to be a teacher. This notion of "my roots" automatically recharges my mind-body's batteries and allows me to keep on going. 

So, what are your roots? I would like to write about mine someday. Today I have already used up the entire one-hour that I allocate myself for daily writing routine. So long for now, folks. Will write more soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment