Monday, September 23, 2019

Why I Like Hakata

I like Hakata. It's such a comfortable city. People are nice too. I was reminded of these feelings when I set foot on the soil of this largest city of the southern island of Kyushu.

I flew into the city yesterday evening, and dined at an izakaya restaurant that has a nationwide network of operation. Because it's one of those chain restaurants, I wasn't expecting anything particularly specially locally, but one thing lived up to my expectations, and another exceeded them.

What lived up to my expectations was food. I ordered grilled leather-jacket, or 'umazura', and grilled chicken. Both were fresh and appetizing.

What exceeded my expectation was hospitality of waitresses. They were friendly and cheerful, but not overly so. They simply appeared to enjoy the job, sharing their spirits of hospitality because they enjoy doing so.

My boss and I ordered beer and the drinks arrived, and we were about to make a toast when the waitress stopped us and said, "Gentlemen, if I may, I'd like to take the liberty to make a toast for you. I'll say a short chant and say Cheers, and then, gentlemen, can you follow me and say Cheers?  We were intrigued. I'd never done that before. But with her smile and enthusiasm and all, there was no room for saying no. We complied, saying Why not

She raised the pitch of her voice, and in a louder and vivacious voice said something like, "Wishing our beloved guest eve-growing prosperity and good health, let us make a toast, Cheer!!"  Boss and I touched each other's glass. The dinner had begun.

The following morning when I had breakfast at the restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel I stayed at, half of the employees there looked non-Japanese. I heard two of them talking to each other in their mother tongue, and it sounded like some Latin language, but I wasn't able to tell which. They spoke near-perfect restaurant Japanese.

I observed them while eating, and one thing struck me as outstanding. They all look proud and enjoying their job. I was particularly impressed when one of them adjusted the legs of some tables. He touched the furniture with such love and care that he made me think that he is a son of a carpenter who would see his dad handle wooden handcraft with such love and care. I almost told him that but I didn't. He was so into his work.

The restaurant was very comfortable. It uses a lot of wood for the interior. Some signs hung on the wall, which had Italian dishes written on them. The windows are large, and directly face the street without hedges or anything blocking the view. I could see people busily heading to work in the morning sun. I loved that proximity with ordinary working people. It's like saying, "You are one of us. I'm one of you." And it was true. I am one of them, working people. It's very different from the kind of ostentation typical of restaurants inside business hotels in Tokyo. Those in Tokyo prefer to separate between the guests and those who aren't. They like to create a sense of exclusiveness. It's like saying, "Sir, only YOU can enjoy this luxury and serenity." I don't like it very much. It's snobbish.

Anyhow, in about an hour I must leave for work, so I need to get dressed and start packing, but all in all Hakata is such a nice place to visit. People are nice, and the city has such a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. If you have a chance to visit it, I'm sure enjoy it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment