Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Final Phase Conditioning: 11 K Barefoot Jog

Oct. 16, 2018

Five days to go before Aqua Line Marathon 2018. I'm running it in bare feet for the first time in an official full marathon, and I cannot make any mistake so far as final phase conditioning effort goes. 

Tonight I ran 11 K in bare feet in 1:08.37. I could have run in minimalist shoes to avoid injury, but I didn't. For two reasons. One, I wasn't going to run fast, so the risk of injury was low. Two, I wanted to practice in a condition close to that of the race. 

As far as running distance, I was originally going to run an hour to roughly cover 10 K. But ended up running 11. It's a small difference, but nonetheless a small ego-booster. As I look back on it, the increased distance was mainly due to the way I chose the courses. I usually run a hilly 6 K shuttle course, and add four 1 K repeats to make a 10 run. But tonight I decided not to, worrying that my legs might be too fatigued. So I started by running around a flat 2.5 K loop. Running around it two laps to cover 5 K was a breeze, and running the 6 K shuttle course in addition seemed easy because I am so used to running it. And it felt easy as expected. It was an interesting lesson for me. It wouldn't have been this way otherwise. By that I mean running the hill shuttle course first, and adding two laps of the flat 2.5 K loop. The prospect of going extra miles after running the hilly course seemed so boring and demotivating.  But the reverse wasn't so.

On Wednesday night after coming home from work, I am planning to jog for an hour again. It's going to be a super productive day. It begins with video-shooting for a corporate seminar, a different two-hour corporate seminar in Ikebukuro in the late afternoon, and a 90-minute regular lecture at night. And then the practice run at night to reward myself for being so productive at work!



No comments:

Post a Comment