Thursday, April 6, 2017

Karate Training Continues.

I've been doing karate training for four consecutive days.
I do this for the purpose of improving my ability to defend myself
against potential assault, as well as of increasing my explosive power
of both my upper and lower body.
When I did it four days ago, after a long absence of practice,
I was as clumsy as if wearing a turtle shell.
But as I continued, I slowly improved on flexibility
as well as coordination.
The practice this morning was probably the best of four.
I particularly saw my single-legged stability improved
when I tried a series of different kinds of kicks.

It takes about half an hour to go through the basic training of Kyokushin karate
that consists of warm up, punches (with an elbow attack included), defense techniques, hand sword offense techniques, and kicks.
When the whole training is over, I am reasonably out of breath and sweaty to the point where I need to take a shower immediately.

I especially see a clear benefit of doing some unusual kicks
such as 'uchimawashigeri' (内廻し蹴り) and 'sotomawashigeri' (外廻し蹴り).
I do not know the official English name of either of them.
For now let me just call them 'inner windmill kick' and 'outer windmill kick"
respectively.
What I like about them is that both engage the inner and outer thigh.
They are important muscles in running.
They are naturally trained as you run.
But the process is gradually.
But the kicks mentioned above put a significant amount of stress on both the inner and outer thigh.
It is a very good off-season training for running.
It's like killing two birds with one stone.
You can improve your defensive competence.
And you can strength the muscles that you are going to use in full swing
once the race season begins this coming September.

I would like to carry on with this new habit of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment