Saturday, February 11, 2017

Weekend Project:1K by 13 Sets Hill Interval Training

Are you doing anything special this weekend?
I'm doing hill interval training. It's the last of a series of training sessions leading to the Ohme 30 K Road Race next Sunday.
Today I'm doing 13 sets of a 1 K hill repeat. When I say a 1 K hill repeat, I don't mean a 1 K continuous uphill.
It's a long stretch of road that has one long and steep down hill and one longer but less steep one. When you go one way, it's one set. And when you come back the same way, it's another set. When you return, it's one relatively long but not so steep down hill combined with a shorter but far steeper one. The return set is just a little more challenging than the going set. Anyhow, I aim at between 4:00 and 4:20 for each set. Hopefully, I can finish under 4:20 in all of the 13 sets. I also want to come under 4:10 in more than half, namely in at least seven. The training will start around 2:00 p.m. and finish around 3:30 including the time needed to go to the course.

As always I watched one of my most favorite races to lift my spirits. Today's video is the Men's Marathon from the 1960 Olympics in Rome. (https://goo.gl/JTTPjc) Abebe Bikila, my all time marathon hero, won the gold, beating all the other competitors including two Russians who were suspected to be on every possible dope under the sun considering their country's national trait at that time.

Abebe was barefooted. When the gun went off, it was almost before sunset. As the race goes on, the runners are engulfed in twilight, and then eventually in complete darkness, except for flaming torches along the road that show them where the road goes. Occasional electric lights light up some of the Roman remains along the course where countless battles were fought by gladiators in ancient times.

Today I hope to run as strongly as Abebe, not completely barefooted, but in minimalist split-toe running shoes "MUTEKI".

No comments:

Post a Comment