Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Midnight 2.5-Hour LSD in Aqua Shoes

Feb. 2, 2021

24.5 K: 2:23:25

1 K: 4:43.80

Total 25.5 K:  2:28:08

I taught a 2.5-hour corporate seminar this afternoon, which went well. I also had a good meeting with my boss after that. He gave me an assignment which looks pretty exciting. On Wednesday I work from home. Since there is no commute, I can  sleep later than usual. So, tonight I can go for a long run without worrying too much about getting up early. I set off for an easy run without deciding how far I would go.



A 3.7 K run took me to the Kashiwai water treatment plant. The road surrounding the plant is 2.2 K. There is a combination of a few blocks right next to the plant whose surrounding road makes exactly 1 K. When you run both in a figure of 8, you cover 3.2 K. I ran it 4 sets to cover 12.8 K.   



I was originally running 5 sets of this, but after doing 4 sets, I got bored. So, I took the route below for additional 5.3 K. There is a convenience store 4 K into this route. I kept my motivation by telling myself that I would buy ice cream when I got there. 


But then when I finally got to the convenience store, I just ignored it and pressed on. Ice cream is simply a mental trick I often use to motivate myself. But most of the time I only think about it, and don't actually buy any, because I don't want to kill the benefit of my effort. 

Two hours have passed, and I was in the last 3 K, which is the most hilly section of the course tonight, but it's also the part that I'm most familiar with, because that's where I do hill intervals. A mere prospect of an approaching finish made me feel so happy that I couldn't control a grin. Luckily, it was all dark, and not a single soul was seen on the street. If there were people, they would suspect that I was on something illegal, because I must have looked like a drunken man who's running, and I couldn't stop grinning from runner's high. 

With 1 K remaining, though, I set myself on a testosterone mode and surged for a fast finish. I ran the last K in 4:43, which isn't so bad for a man who had already run more than 24 K. 

I want to wrap this up with some neat closing remark, but suddenly my eyes got heavy, so I'll hit the bed. Tomorrow I want to do some training. But at the moment I feel too sleep to do any thinking. Good night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment