Saturday, November 9, 2019

6 K Tempo Run @ 4:05/K

Nov. 9, 2019
6 K: 26:09.66 (average 4:21.5/K)

With 8 days remaining until the Yotsukaido Gas Light 10 K Road Race I did a 6 K tempo run. The target was 4:05/K. I was originally planning to hit the road immediately after dinner, but I was so sleepy and exhausted from an insanely busy work schedule and a resultant chronic lack of sleep. So I took a short nap for a couple of hours, and finally got out past midnight.

It wasn't so cold for early November, but definitely cold for a shorts-& short-sleeved-shirt-clad run. But nonetheless I got out in shorts and no-sleeved running shirt, because quick rise of body temperature was expected because of the nature the training tonight.


I chose to run the loop above, because it's rich in undulation, similar to the race course. 

As soon as I started off,  I quickly realized that the two-hour nap wasn't enough to revitalize my mindbody. My legs were heavy and breathing wasn't easy. I immediately wanted to call it off. But I carried on. A few minutes into the run, I felt a sharp pain in the right lung. I suspected that the diaphragm was cramped. I felt suffocated. I wanted to quit. But I chose to accept my limitation and settle for less rather than totally quitting and gaining nothing. 

I did my best to shake ff the pain by changing the breathing tempo, or breathing out everything and get more of fresh air, and so on. But nothing really worked until I reached the goal.

The time was 26:09.66. Far from the target. But I came through the pain and completed the session. I am satisfied. 

I'm afraid I pushed too much. There is a slight pain in both of my calves. It's not good.  I'm going to rest tomorrow. The Yokohama Marathon 2019 takes place tomorrow and three of my runner friends are running. I'm going to there to cheer them on.  It's going to be a fun and enjoyable Sunday with no hard training on my side.  It's my friends who do all the running.  All I do is just cheering. 



No comments:

Post a Comment