Thursday, April 26, 2018

Intervals in MUTEKI: 1K by 6 Sets With 20-Minute Jog Before & After it

Thursday night is an interval night. It has become my weekly routine ever since I read that book by ultra marathon world record holder Takahiro Sunada. I went for a 20-minute jog in my split-toe minimalist shoes MUTEKI. I set my timer at 10 minutes and went down my favorite shuttle course. When the alarm went off 10 minutes from the start, I took a U-turn and headed back.

Once I got home, I took off my arm warmers as I was feeling warm enough. I walked back to a park near my house to get ready for intervals. My target tonight is 4:30/K.  I pressed my stopwatch and went off. Breathing was easy and I left light. I carefully checked my form as I ran along. It's my priority during non-race season. The time was 4:11.13. Way faster than originally planned. I thought I was going to slow down a little. After jogging back to the start line in a minute, I went off for the second round. This time the time was 4:22.57. A bit slower, but still faster than the original target. After a short interval of one minute, I went off for Round 3. This time was 4:24.08. Just a little bit slower than Round 2, but I felt that the pace was just right, so I decided to stick to that pace. The next lap was 4:24.66. Almost the same as the previous one. The lap for Round 5 was 4:24.09. and the last lap was 4:33.98, and the latest of all.

Target was not too difficult, considering my PB for 10 K, but since the interval was short, it felt fairly challenging.

Once the intervals were done, I walked home, and changed into my aqua shoes as my right MUTEKI felt a bit too tight around the toe. Th aqua shoes felt much more comfortable than MUTEKI, because the material is elastic, and the sole is thinner. It's closer to barefoot running. 

Tomorrow I hope to run barefoot after coming home from work. Nothing feel better than running without shoes. I wore shoes tonight because it was speed training and my form hadn't been perfected yet to run fast with minimum friction between the sole and the road. Somewhere down the road, though, I hope to, and I should be able to, do intervals in bare feet without any problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment