Thursday, August 17, 2017

7.5 K Run + 1-Minute Alternate Runs

Just came home from a quick practice run. I ran 7.5 K at a comfortable pace first, and then did some intervals after that. Today's interval training is 1-minute alternate runs. I learned this training from "Running with the Kenyans" by Adharanand Finn. In this training you cruise for a minute and then run fast for a minute and repeat the set as many times as you want. In the book the writer did it 25 sets for 50 minutes. Today I just did it 5 sets. It's a good speed variation to add to a pace run. I often throw it in after running a good distance at varied paces.

My speed sucked today, as my ability to sustain speed had significantly deteriorated from the end of July to the beginning of August when I was too tied up with work to do any good running training. But my basic running strength has not been lost much. I was especially relieved my cardio was still quite strong, mainly because during this summer vacation I enjoyed skin-diving a couple of times, and that required me to use my cardio and legs all the time. So I wasn't totally out of shape.

Although I ran 7.5 K with no problem, that's mainly because the pace was easy, and it's a different story if I ran at a much faster pace. To do that I still need to gradually increase my running distance, and once I can run 20 K at my full marathon pace, I would like to start doing some major speed training.

No comments:

Post a Comment