Sunday, December 18, 2016

Hill Interval Training: 1K by 7 Sets

I'm in euphoria an hour after doing interval training.
Today's interval training was special.
The course included two long hills.
One was steep, and the other less so, but longer.
The course was 1.9 K from home.
I slowly jogged to the area for warm up.
In about ten minutes I reached the start area.
The sky was cloudless.
The sun was strong.
And winds were almost non-existent.
It was a perfect condition,
except that it was a bit too warm for the intensive running training.

Lap 1. It began with a short stretch of about 200 meters,
and then started going down for another 200 meters.
The decline was fairly steep, so I had to control speed
by slanting my upper body backward slightly.
Once I hit the bottom of the hill, there was another stretch of 200 meters.
I picked up speed.
Then came another hill, this time upward.
I immediately shifted my gear  back into second,
and started taking shorter and quicker steps.
This helps me minimize energy loss,
allowing for a final surge.
Once I reached the top of the hill,
there was a final stretch of 200 meters, all flat till the finish.
I increased the pace, and finished at 3:50.02.
Good start.

I rested for two minutes,
and went back the same route this time in the opposite direction.
The second lap was a little worse than the first.
My energy tank was still close to full,
so it wasn't because I was tired.
It was mainly because the down slope in the first lap was a little steeper
than the other one, so when you ran up it, the resistance was bigger.
The second lap was 4:03.38.

I repeated this cycle two more times
until I was up for the last.
Each time the time got just a little bit worse than before.
Then came the last lap for the day,
to which I gave everything I had left in me
and finished at 3:58.82.
I was happy I came under 4 minutes in the end.

The result of today's interval training is as follows:
1st lap: 3:50.02
Rest: 2:00.09
2nd lap: 4:03.38
Rest: 2:06.16
3rd lap: 3:53.87
Rest: 2:00.08
4th lap: 4:08.15
Rest: 2:00.17
5th lap: 4:02.35
Rest: 2:00.00
6th lap: 4:12.77
Rest: 2:00.24
7th lap: 3:58.82
Total 7K: 40:16.13

I ran 7 K in interval training, plus another K to jog back to the start area.
I also ran 1.9 K from home and another 1. 9 K back home.
So the total distance covered was 12.8 K.

Overall it was a very good session.
No major pain in any part of my body.
I still had some energy left after the running training was over.
I stopped by a park in my neighborhood to do some upper body muscle training
using a monkey bar and a steel fence surrounding the swings
to hit chest, back, shoulders, and arms.
These areas remained pretty much intact after the run,
so I enjoyed burning some extra calories training them.

My next training is this coming Thursday night.
I am planning to run 20 K.
The focus then is distance rather than speed.
I have a choice between running my usual 2.5 K circular route 8 times,
and running my new 7.4 K route 3 times to cover a bit longer than 20 K.
The latter includes the 1 K which I ran in the interval training today.
So it is quite rich in undulation, and therefore very much close to the race situations.
I will wait and see how quickly I recover from fatigue and make my decision accordingly.


https://www.google.co.jp/maps/dir/35.6946558,140.1236915/35.7015122,140.1302081/@35.6989252,140.1258158,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

No comments:

Post a Comment