Thursday, October 27, 2016

Interval Training: 1 K × 7 Sets

I had a two-hour corporate seminar with a group of a little less than 40 participants.
It went well, and I left the venue with a great feeling of achievement.
Once the seminar was done,
I went to my favorite steak restaurant in Higashinakano.
https://tabelog.com/tokyo/A1319/A131901/13042647/
I was scheduled to do 1 K by 7 sets interval training tonight,
and I needed to charge my body's batteries.
Charge the batteries I did by having a mountain of steamed rice
and thick and large pieces of beef weighing 200 g.

When I got home, it was chilly in Sakura where I live,
but I put on a short sleeved T-shirt and a pair of shorts,
because tonight I was ready to elevate my heart rates to max.
That's the whole purpose of tonight's 1 K by 7 sets interval training.

The first set began.
The air felt chilly on my arms.
But as I sped, the coldness was immediately forgotten.
I took short quick strides, tracing the form
that I had been practicing for the last few weeks.
The first lap was 4:00.16.
Not bad.
But I wasn't completely warmed up, yet.

Between sets there is an active rest for two minutes.
In today's training the start and finish point are different.
About 100 M apart from each other.
So I jogged back to the start point,
hydrated myself, and waited for the start of Round 2
as I stretched here and there of my body.

Soon came the time for the second set.
I started off.
My body felt lighter as it had reasonably warmed up.
I maintained the short quick strides so as not to exhaust myself too early.
Though I didn't expect it, I finished well under 4:00.00.
The time was 3:51.01.

Naturally, I was already quite out of breath,
so I decided to slow down a little
so that I could spread out my energy consumption
evenly throughout the remaining five sets.

Then came Round 3.
The lap was almost the same as the first one: 4:00.18.

Four more sets to go.
My left calf was tense, but I wasn't too worried.
I generally don't worry too much about physical discomfort.
Especially ever since I read Dr. John E. Sarno,
I believe many of our muscular and skeletal problems are psychological in origin.

The following four sets went smoothly,
except that my time continued to deteriorate as I went on,
and it was in the last set
that I was finally able to come under 4:00.00 again.

Tonight's result is as follows:
1st lap: 4:00.16
Rest: 2:00.38
2nd lap: 3:51.01
Rest: 2:00.20
3rd lap: 4:00.18
Rest: 2:00.07
4th lap: 4:03.98
Rest: 2:00.42
5th lap: 4:06.28
Rest: 2:00.39
6th lap: 4:04.86
Rest: 2:00.30
7th lap: 3:54.33
Total 7K: 40:02.56

I am very happy with the result.
My next training is this coming Sunday.
It's going to be exactly the same training: 1 K by 7 sets interval training.
I hope to finish strongly just like I did tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment