Sunday, May 2, 2021

3rd Anniversary of the Day I Got My License for Large Motorcycles


April 9 was the 3rd anniversary of the day I got my license for riding large motorcycles. According to Japan's traffic law if the size of your motorcycle engine is larger than 400 cc, it's classified as a large motorcycle. You have a different license from the one which allows you to ride a motorcycle whose displacement is 400 cc or smaller. You must be first licensed to ride a regular size motorbike to be eligible to go for the other license. 

Many people, when they get their license to ride a regular size bike, will buy their first motorcycle, and after riding it for some time, become interested in riding a larger bike and go to get the other license.

As for me, after getting my first motorcycle license, I kept wondering whether I should buy my first bike or go on to get the other license, which would open up a wider selection of motorcycles to choose from when I am legally licensed to ride a motorcycle of any size. After almost 2 months of consideration I decided not to buy a motorcycle until I got the other license.

I restarted going to the driving school where I got my first motorcycle license. I got a discount of US$185 because I was a former student and also it was within a year of my previous graduation.

I went to driving school between Dec. 28 or 2017 and Apr.4 of 2018, come rain or shine. I still keep all the record of my schooling, because I feel so proud of myself for making time to go there even when I was busy and tired just to make my youth dream come true. 

The day I finally got my license renewed at the license bureau on Apr. 9, 2018, I was so happy that I donated my blood at the blood donation center adjacent to the bureau!

After being officially licensed to ride any motorbike, my next goal was finding a good one for me. It didn't take long to achieve this goal. The end result is the photo above. 

Once I got my motorbike, my next goal was to be legally allowed to carry a passenger on the rear seat. It takes a year of riding. I was especially careful not to violate any traffic rules. My role model was motorcycle police officers. (They still are!) I had every reason to be a careful driver, because again according to Japan's traffic law, if you violate traffic law, you get penalty points. The number of points varies according to the degree of seriousness. Now if your accumulated points reach 3 within a year of getting the license, your license is suspended. And in order to be freed from this suspension, you need to get over two hurdles. One, you must take a lecture. This usually takes place at some sort of government building so bloody remote from everything. Two, you must pass on a technical driving test, which according to most teachers at the driving school is so super difficult that few can actually pass. It means license suspension within a year of licensing can lead to going over the whole process from scratch! Alas, that would be a huge waste of time and money. I never wanted that to happen.

Luckily, my generally poor driving technique didn't allow me any reckless attempt. So, a year passed fairly peacefully. A year later, I found myself happily enjoying carrying my bilingual companion on the rear seat and going places. 

With this goal successfully down, my next goal was waiting two years to be officially allowed to carry a passenger on highways. I took every opportunity to carry my bilingual companion on the rear seat to go places not only to have fun but also to gain experience and become more skilled at it. 

And this past 9 of April finally the day came.  Anticipation had built up so emotionally till the very day that when the day actually came, my nerves were kind of too exhausted to feel any excitement.  But of course, I was happy. There was this warm feeling spread all within my heart. I was like, "I finally did it."

When I say I finally did it, it's not some sort of actively achieving something super challenging. It's more achieving a passive goal of not violating traffic law. And this goal is not just for the first 3 years of licensing. It's my eternal goal as a motorcycle rider. This is because I truly believe that with careful observation, sensible judgment, and continuous training, anyone can be a better rider, and that a well-mannered rider can inspire people to think that the world of motor vehicles can be a friendly community, rather than that of selfish and reckless riders and drivers. 

My riding training continues...






No comments:

Post a Comment