Sunday, April 25, 2021

Midnight 10 K Hill Tempo Run in Aqua Shoes (Target 45:50.00)

Apr. 26, 2021

Warm Up 0.5 K: 3:00.00

10 K Hill Tempo Run: 45:06.82 (Target=45:50.00)



Rest: 1:19.36

Warm Down 0.9 K: 6:22.87

Total 11.4 K: 55:49.05

Running 10 K under 45:50 is a minimum requirement if you want to run a sub-3.25 marathon. When I first gave it a try. I wasn't able to make it. Then at my second attempt, somehow I managed to make it. After that I simply thought I would make it constantly until it became a habit. The truth was far from it! No matter how hard I tried, I was half a minute or so slower than the target. I was afraid I was simply not young enough to go for it. Then I got busier with a new project, and haven't been able to make time for training for a while. I didn't completely stop running though total running distance dropped quite a bit, and intensive training became less often. 

But then as it became warmer, my motivation slowly returned. Over the last couple of weeks I was able to do some good high intensity cardio with a big focus on leg strength, combined with jogging. Last week for the first time in a long time was I able to complete 7 sets of interval training, running all 7 sets under the target of 4:25/K. I really wanted to see how I would run the hilly 10 K course I always hit for tempo run. I wanted to see my ability to climb upward inclines strongly without getting out of breath. I also wanted to see my ability to quickly recover after climbing hills. 

As I look back on my maneuvering tonight, I think I was pretty good. Breathing was tough on flats when I tried not to slack off as I increased cadence to maintain my speed while saving energy at the same time. 

But all in all, I'm satisfied with the results tonight. I am happy to know that I still keep the stamina and strength to run it under the target. 

My next goal is to have a good interval session this week. I just discovered today that my 1 K loop was a good 45 meters shorter than 1 K.  Google Map sucks! Anyhow, I want to do 7 sets with additional 45 meters and still make it under the target. Once I achieve this goal, my second goal is nailing another hill tempo run, this time more with ease.   


  

No comments:

Post a Comment