Saturday, February 8, 2020

10 K Tempo Run in MUTEKI

Feb. 9, 2020
Warm Up 700 M: 5:00.00
<10 K Tempo Run: Target Pace=4:45/K; Target Time for Each Lap=11:52; Target Finish Time=47:30>
2.5 K: 11:27
2.5 K: 11:17
2.5 K: 11:52
2.5 K: 11:11
Total 10 K: 45:47
Warm Down: 700 M: 5:00.00

It makes me sick to my stomach just to think about doing a tempo run. It's the most stressful training of all. Nevertheless, experience has taught me it is what guarantees the greatest gain. 


I was originally scheduled to do it on Saturday night, but I was too sleepy and tired to do it. I hit the bed immediately after coming home from work and finishing dinner. 

In the morning when I woke up, I was still tired. I dozed in bed for a few extra hours, and finally climbed out of futon around 11 a.m.to eat breakfast. I ate two oranges and a few cloves of garlic that I microwaved. I began to feel a surge of energy slowly building up inside. I put on my running gear and hit the road.


I dressed light to acclimatize for the race. My legs felt heavy in the first lap. But I was well under the target. I tried to ease my pace in the second. But I was comfortably under the target. I switched my breathing from 6 beat to 8 beat. Then finally in the 3rd lap I exactly hit the target. In the final lap I cruised along initially, but then in the second half, kicked a little and finished it in the fastest lap. I was satisfied. 

The hardest training is now over. In the coming 6 days leading to the race I am going to taper gradually except on Thursday night, I am going to a couple of 1 K fast runs just to briefly stimulate my cardio-vascular system. Other than just I'll just jog for an hour every day.




No comments:

Post a Comment