Tuesday, October 1, 2019

10 K Recovery Run in Aqua Shoes

Oct. 1, 2019
10.5 K: 1:11:31


What you do after intensive training is important. You feel like taking a complete rest. But if you do, you can kill the benefit of the training on the previous day. However, with some soreness remaining in your legs there is naturally a limit to what you can do. Doing yet another session of intensive training can lead to over-training. There is a risk of unrecoverable soreness that prevents you from training for days. I want to do everything to avoid that.

What's recommended by one experienced former marathoner is LSD. So that's what I did today. 


I aimed for a minimum of 90-minute run. But halfway into it I felt some pain in my right knee. It happens sometimes so I wasn't surprised. Ordinarily I would shrug it off and continue to run. But tonight I didn't have the willpower to endure the pain, nor did I feel the need to put up with it. I simply walked for a while instead. 

After running for a couple of minutes, pain returned. So I switched to walking again. Pain came back again every time I started again, but no pain was anything serious. I just dealt with it until I reached home by alternate running and walking. 

It took me 1:11:31 to cover the distance that ordinarily only takes me less than an hour. But that's OK. The purpose of the training tonight is recovery. 

Incidentally, I tried on the new pair of aqua shoes. To be totally honest, they are far more comfortable than the huaraches I ran in yesterday. So far they are THE BEST foot ware that I've ever run in. If the road is smooth, running barefoot is THE BEST. But if the road condition isn't that great, running in these can beat barefoot running. Running on poorly-maintained asphalt roads is simply painful, and not much fun, only testing a different kind of endurance from long-distance endurance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment