Thursday, August 9, 2018

Thursday Night Intervals: 3 K + 3 Sets by 650 M


I did intervals after coming home from work. I taught a five-hour seminar all by myself to a group of 15 school teachers from various parts of Japan. I was mentally so exhausted that I needed to do something purely physical to reset my mind. I did intervals because I thought long slow cardio wouldn't do the job. My training consisted of three parts as usual.

<Twenty-Minute Jog in MUTEKIs>
I started off by jogging in a pair of split-toe minimalist shoes MUTEKIs. I ran very slowly, loosening up my leg joints and checking my form.

<3 K + 3 Sets by 650 M Intervals>
After the jog, I was warmed up, so I got straight into intervals. I was originally planning to do 6 sets by 1 K, but as I started off, I felt strong, so I decided to make my first set a 3 K run. I ran a 880 M loop twice to cover 1760 M, and then switched into a 650 K loop, and ran it a little less than two laps to cover a total 3 K. The target was 13:30 (4:30/K pace), but my watch said 12:48 (4:16/K pace). Way faster than planned. But it only made the next run harder. I aimed at 2 K, but just as the last time I did intervals, I ran out of gas after I 650 M, so I stopped there. The time was 2:48.98. I rested for a minute, and ran the same distance. This time the time was a bit better: 2:39.98. I ran another 650 M after resting a minute in 2:49.85. Then I burned out. So I walked back home to take a pee break.

<Twenty-Minute Jog in Bare Feet>
I took off my shoes after a short break, and hit the road again in bare feet for warm down. Even the legendary minimalist shoes cannot beat the sensation of running barefoot. As I ran, though, I felt slight soreness in my neck and traps. I wondered where it came from. Then I remembered that I did single-hand lying pull-ups in my office holding onto the edge of a long table after all my co-workers left. By the time I got home, I was reasonably recovered, so I thought of dong one more K, but then I thought I shouldn't because I have an early start tomorrow, and I don't want to get myself irrecoverably fatigued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment