Monday, December 4, 2017

Race Report: Hadano Tanzawa Minasegawa Half Marathon 2017

On Dec. 3, 2017 I ran Hadano Tanzawa Minasegawa Half Marathon 2017. I ran it in aqua slippers (see below) except for the last 3 kilometers, where I took them off and ran barefoot. I renewed my previous PB from Sanspo Chiba Marine Half Marathon 2015 to finish at 1:38:44 Net (1:39:01 Gross) . I am glad and feel not a little proud that I have improved my time by relying less on modern athletic technology. 
There were a number of factors that contributed to this achievement. One, I was used to running a distance beyond 21.1 K. I had run 30 K a week prior to the race. Three days before that I ran about 25 K. Compared to these distances, 21.1 K felt a lot shorter. 

Two, I did a significant number of hill repeats. In one session I even did thirteen 1 K hill repeats. This enabled me to acquire a super efficient hill-climbing running form. Before the 14.7 K mark (the highest point in the race) there is an uphill which is longer than one kilometer. In the previous races I would slow down significantly, sometimes feeling a sharp pain in one of my knees. This year I climbed it in good rhythm, and without feeling much pain. 

Third, I ran more tactfully. I paid particular attention to my heart rates. I didn't have any modern sensor with me. I just listened to my heart beat. Whenever they elevated, I slowed down my pace to keep them even. This worked. I still had a lot of energy left when I reached the top. Using that energy, I went down the hill like a thunder bolt.


My switch to barefoot running also went well. The last few kilometers of the course are the same as the initial part of the race. When I ran it, I carefully checked the road condition, deciding where to take off my slippers when I reached the same area on my way to the finish line.

Finally, that I had adjusted my soles to running on paved roads very slowly over a long period of time was a very big factor. Two weeks before I ran a 10 K race completely barefooted. I got some blisters through the race. But they heeled in a few days. And the soles got tougher. I continued to run barefooted in some of my training sessions, but not in all of them. Sometimes I gave priority to running a long distance over developing my soles' endurance. Sometimes I ran barefoot to keep my soles from becoming soft again, but there I didn't run a long distance, mainly because I wanted to avoid new blisters. They would have set me back on training.

So overall, I knew what I was doing throughout my training, and the result this Sunday is because all these factors worked favorably for the race.

My next race is Sanspo Chiba Marine Half Marathon 2018 on the third Sunday of next January. Then comes Tateyama Wakashio Marathon 2018 on the following Sunday. My goal in the latter is finishing under 3:45:00, and running the last few kilometers barefooted. I still haven't decided on the degree of barefooted-ness in Chiba Marine. I must test-run the course to judge its feasibility. Should I get my soles injured in this race, I wouldn't be able to run the race in the following week, so I can't do anything stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment