Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Wednesday Night Barefoot 7.5 K Run

It rained, so I ran barefoot. It was the first barefoot run in almost three months. Last time I tried, it was a hot summer day. I was on my way to a commercial festival in Central Sakura. My friend from high school days was involved in promoting the event, and I wanted to drop by and say hello to him. Unfortunately, the pavement was burning hot, and ten minutes after I started off, one of my soles got burned, and I couldn't go on. I returned home, limping, took a shower, got dressed, now in shoes, went off to visit the event by train. I felt so miserable that the idea of barefoot running was temporarily off my mind. But then tonight, on my way home from work, it started raining. By the time I was home, it was raining quite heavily. Many runners don't like running in the rain, but rain doesn't bother me at all. I'm a skin-diver, and I'm used to getting wet! Plus, some of my best races in the past are on rainy days. As soon as I got home, I had a light meal, and then quickly threw myself into running gear, and hit the road right away.

The cold water on the pavement felt great on the sole. Rain drops hitting my body felt cold at first, but in no time, my whole body was all fired up, I no longer felt cold. It felt slightly uncomfortable on rough surface, but half of the course was well-paved, and I ran at ease. Another reason I didn't feel that uncomfortable is probably my running form was significantly more efficient than before, so the shock of landing was minimum.

I cruised along my favorite 2.5 K loop three times, and was just about to go for the fourth set when I felt a blister was developing in one of the soles. I stopped, afraid that a ruptured blister would keep me from training for days.

My soles feel a little sore here and there, but I'm sure soreness will be gone soon.

Today's result is as follows:
1st 2.5 K: 12:30.27
2nd 2.5 K: 12:45.78
3rd 2.5 K: 12:25.86
Total 7.5 K: 37:41.91

No comments:

Post a Comment