Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Last Interval Training Before the Race

Four days remain before Tateyama Wakashio Marathon this coming Sunday.
I felt I completely recovered from Snspo Chiba Marine Half Marathon,
so I hit the road after work.
Today's training was 3 × 1K interval training.
I started with a slow jog for 1.3 K.
Then I ran 1 K, aiming to finish at 4:30.
The first lap was 4:45, much slower than the target.
So after 2 minutes of recovery time, I went for my second round,
but this time increased the speed slightly.
I finished at 4:24.
Much better.
Followed by another 2-minute recovery,
I went for the last set to finish at 4:25.

I usually do interval training mainly to improve my speed.
But for the coming race speed is an element that is least needed (at least
for me!).
Rather the main purpose is to stimulate the leg muscles just recovered from the previous race,
and also to keep them from getting too relaxed.
I think the workout tonight fulfilled that purpose well.

I am going to give myself a full rest for the coming two day,
as far as running.
I may do some core training tomorrow
so as not to relax my body too much.
But I need to be careful not to overdo it.
Any overwork could lead to unrecoverable fatigue,
which may be a big risk factor for the race on Sunday.

On Friday morning I might have a quick run in the morning
just to elevate heart rates to keep my cardiovascular system
nice and responsive.
But even if I do, I will probably not run any more than 3 K.
If I do run on Friday, I won't run on Saturday.
If I don't run on Friday, I may run 3 K or so at a reasonably fast pace
just to stimulate my cardio.
But that will all depend on my physical condition.
I will avoid anything that can fatigue me to the point
where I can't completely recover before the race.
At this stage your fundamental strength won't dramatically change overnight any more
no matter what you do.
So all training is mainly for conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment