Friday, January 14, 2022

Midnight 10 K Run

Jan. 14, 2022

After finishing chatting for a while with some of my students after the last lesson for the day, I changed into my walking outfit and pounded the pavement under the moonlight. Though it was chilly, the sky was clear and starry, and the moon beautifully lit the road ahead. There was little wind tonight. It was just perfect for a pleasant post-work night stroll.

After walking for about 5 minute, I felt so good. I felt so light that I wanted to run. So, instead of walking the entire route, I decided to "run" except for the initial and last 800 M. 

Though the recovering left knee was basically painless, I ran carefully so as not to damage it. I narrowed my strides and took small and quick steps to minimize landing impact. I was especially cautious when going down hills. 

The first 5 K was a breeze. But as the distance increased, an effect of a long absence of strenuous endurance training started to show. Breathing became harder. And my legs became less responsive. But instead of feeling bad about how weak I had become over this course of time, I regarded this difficulty as a fun challenge of how far I could go on without significantly slowing down. Quitting because it was hard was simply not in my dictionary. So on and on I went, and when I finally reached the 10 K mark, I was with in 55 minutes (54:53.88). Not bad for an aging man with a knee issue. 

I hope my left knee feels OK when I wake up tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.





No comments:

Post a Comment