Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Made Huarache Debut! (ワラーチデビュー)

June 25, 2019
8.6 K: 43.08.29
1 K: 4:18.59
1 K: 3:49.12
Total 10.6 K: 51:16.00


I made a huarache debut tonight. I made a pair from flip-flops from a dollar shop by replacing the thongs with paracord I bought from Amazon. 

I ran 10.6 K mostly at an easy pace but surged in the last couple of kilometers. In the first few kilometers, I had to readjusted the cord to find the most comfortable fitting, but after a couple of trials and errors I found the right one, and from that point on I cruised along like a man of a running tribe.

The paracord didn't cause any pain. That was a relief. But running in huaraches was just worryingly too comfortable. I can easily imagine completing a full marathon in them. Cushioning is just too comfortable with the hundred-yen flip-flops. There is no challenge. I must find a less comfortable material that gives me a close-to-bare-feet feeling. It may be a piece of leather. It may be a piece of old tire. Whatever that may be, I don't have the slightest intention of paying that much money for it. To me, barefoot is, and will always be, the best option. 





No comments:

Post a Comment