Thursday, January 12, 2017

When the Lord Closes the Door, Somewhere He Opens a Window.

I have never found myself so stupid as I did today.
Here is why.
I had not been able to see a solution to a problem for so long
when it was just under my nose.
I don't know why I couldn't.
But when I finally found it,
I couldn't help realizing that when you are under pressure,
that you can lose sight of a large picture and end up trying to choose a solution
from among the choices that are already there.

Let me illustrate my point below.

Two days ago I went for a 30 K run.
I am expecting a full marathon on the last Sunday of this month,
and it was vitally important to run this distance three weeks prior to the big race.
I had a small concern, though.
I had had nasty cough for almost ten days, and been unable to do much training.
I considered two choices:
1) settling for a shorter distance and build from there another day
2) going all the way to cover 30 K 
I chose 2).
The result was slight pain in my left knee, fairly serious soreness in my right calf, and major pain in my right ankle.
I panicked.
They were more than discomfort. 
I hated to admit it, but I had to say that I was seriously injured.
If the pain didn't go away soon, I wouldn't be able start training again,
and I couldn't train, I would be in big, big trouble in this half marathon race
scheduled a week before the full marathon!
What should I do?
Full-scale training was of course impossible.
I could make my condition worse.
But if I didn't train, I could very quickly lose my cardio-vascular capacity 
that I had developed up to this point...
The choice I took earlier this morning was to take a short quick walk in the morning
in the park near my house.
The ground is covered with wood chips, so it's easy on your legs.
Also, I put on my regular jogging shoes with cushioning to minimize the landing shock;
the injury of the right ankle was primarily attributed to running on paved roads.
I walked 2 K at first, and felt reasonably warmed up, so slowly jogged half a kilometer.
It was not a perfect solution, but I thought it a good compromise 
until I fully recovered.
But deep down I knew walking couldn't possibly be a substitute for a strenuous running training.
I was worried until I was just about to leave work
when I stopped for a moment and said to myself,
"Wait a minute. There IS something you can do to strength your legs and cardio
without hurting your knee and ankle joints as much as you do when you run.
Cycling!"

Luckily, I am a cyclist as well as a runner.
I have two decent road racers.
I am going to hit the road on one of them.
And I am going to do something equivalent on the bike to interval training 
that I had originally been planning to do on foot.

Problem solved.
I am a happy man again!





No comments:

Post a Comment