Thursday, March 3, 2022

Los Alamos: The Healthiest County in the US

Mar. 4, 2022

I read a conversation between a couple. The woman says Los Alamos in New Mexico is the healthiest county in the US according to a magazine article. Since the man has a brother who lives in Los Alamos, he asks what's his take on the article. The brother invites them to come down and see for themselves, so they go down and spend some time there. After a week the man agrees the place is great because the sky is clear and there are plenty of places to go hiking, but he also feels the place is a little boring. 

When I read the conversation, I wondered what are some elements that make a place a healthy place to live in. I came up with three. One, rich nature. Two, robust economic activities. Three, low crime rate. With these in mind, is my hometown a healthy place? I think so, because it has two out of three: nature and low crime rate. As for robust economy, we need to make a little more effort, because the local government recently raised water utility fees to make up for an insufficient revenue for infrastructure maintenance. Raising fees is one way, of course. But there should be other smart ways to increase the city's revenue. I will keep my eye on local law-makers' policies and actitivies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment